Author Topic: hypoallergenic formulas??????  (Read 4109 times)

Offline mollynme

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
hypoallergenic formulas??????
« on: January 22, 2007, 14:46:47 pm »
Can anyone tell me the formulas for sesitive babies available in the UK?  We have been referred to a gastroenterologist who has suggested trying some hypo-allergenic formulas, but also said that they taste vile - like rotting chicken!!!! sounds lovely!

Just wondering in your experiences which ones taste best/do the babies like and what worked for you all?

My DS is 7 weeks and on ranitidine for reflux, but I cant help thinking it may be an intolerance to the formula he has - weare on cow and gate comfort, but have tried sma and cow and gate premium.  He still grunts loads (can be heard all over the house!, spits up a lot although weight gain is good and cries after and sometimes during feeds...any suggestions please?

Jules
[url=http://lilypie.com][/uLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
Re: hypoallergenic formulas??????
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 09:08:52 am »
my little girl has pepti-junior and this seems to be the best of a bad lot,but it does make a huge difference :)
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 09:47:00 am »
In Germany every formula brand has also got a hypoallergenic version of it. The enzymes from the dairy are more split up than with normal dairy based formula, the theory behind that is that the body doesn't recognise it as an enemy and then won't develop an allergy. They are more used as a prevention from allergy and recommended for those babies whose parents either suffer from asthma, eczema or hayfever cause the three are linked. The taste of them was quite nice by the way, Scotty loved it, it wasn't too bad, a a bit bitter and a bit thicker but not disgusting. It might be one of the reasons why he preferrs pickled herrings to chocolate and vegetables to fruit. Funny boy :)
But these formulas aren't easily available in the UK, but there are other hypoallergenic ones. It is best to get them prescribed because they are pretty inaffordable. One of them is called nutramigen, some parents have good experiences with that, others don't. It stinks and switching to that from another formula can be quite difficult because it really doesn't taste nice...

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: hypoallergenic formulas??????
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:32:03 am »
You can also get nutramigen and pregestimil. You can also get amino acid based formulas, our son started on one called neocate at 11 months. He hated it at first but we weaned him onto it over a period of 3 days and not had a problem since. He is now on neocate advance due to his age.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Lizziebeth

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 22:38:55 pm »
Hi, I'm in the UK and we get Nutramigen on prescription.

It smells and tastes absolutely disgusting to me but DD loves it!  She pulled a funny face the first time I gave it to her and didn't seem too keen.  Then she started wolfing it down just like her previous formula and hasn't looked back since. 

Your situation sounds exactly like my friend's baby.  Her DD got reflux and was prescribed ranitidine.  Things got a little better but not much.  Then they put her on Nutramigen and she was like a different baby overnight.  She'd had a very bad intolerance to cow's milk formula. 

Oh and her DD absolutely loves her Nutramigen too!  Didn't have any probs switching.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 11:09:10 am »
I know a mum who switched (instructed by the doc) slowly to nutramigen. You know, first 6 scoops of the old formula, one of nutra, then 5 and 2, then 4 and 3 and so on. It took a few days and then the baby was alright with it...