Author Topic: alimentum vs. nutramigen  (Read 2195 times)

Offline matthewsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 89
alimentum vs. nutramigen
« on: January 23, 2007, 20:15:49 pm »
ds was just switched to that formula till they do further tests because he has blood in his stool since birth....which one do u recommend alimentum or nutramigen and why?
thanks fo your help!! christie
Christie

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: alimentum vs. nutramigen
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 22:22:34 pm »
My son was on Nutramigen at 5 weeks old and never really liked it that much.  At about 6 mos old, his NEW ped. switched him to Alimentum.  She said that she recommends that more for her allergy/intolerant patients and for kids with reflux issues.

Since trying both, I would DEFT. recommend the Alimentum.  It does not smell nearly as bad and my son liked it a lot better.  Same price and concept, but I think Alimentum is much better.

Good Luck and I hope that helps.

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Silas Mum

• Allison Vancouver, BC CANADA
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 00:59:07 am »
I was allergic to Nutramigen when I was an infant so our Dr. put my LO on Alimentium.  He threw up on it terribly.  The allergist told us that all those types of formula have coconut oil in them and that our LO is allergic to it.  So, we went on goats milk (which is what I had as an infant) and with the first bottle all our problems were solved.  To this day he is still on goats milk and we have no issues.  It was the same thing for me 30 some-odd years ago too. 

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 01:53:26 am »
Some kids with a true milk allergy cannot tolerate the hypoallergenic formulas (nutramigen/alimentum), but MOST kids can tolerate them. 

I would give the Alimentum a try.  If you do not see improvement in a week then you may have to try an Amino Acid based formula such as Neocate.

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline SAHNE

• Proud momma to Carter, Turner, and one angel baby!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • The two little beasties who have stolen my heart!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 02:05:14 am »
We used Alimentum from 6 mo - 9.5 mo - ds never had a problem with it - he actually enjoyed his bottle a lot (sadly didn't seem to miss my milk :().  If you do switch to it make sure and check out ebay - you can buy it by the case much cheaper ;D  We've moved on to Soy.
Steph
-Steph

Offline Elisabeth and Victorias mummy

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My baby sister, cute!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 05:36:11 am »
We used nutrimiegean and dd hated it it literally smelled like dog vomit, yuck, she went on to lactose free milk after that and was fine, she ws a refluxer.
u rl=http://lilypie.com][/url]  []