Author Topic: baby wakes every 1 1/2 to 2 hours to feed! help!  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Ethan and Will's mama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • My husband, darling sons Ethan and Willem and me!
    • http://www.ineways.com/canada/index.asp?Site=susan
baby wakes every 1 1/2 to 2 hours to feed! help!
« on: January 24, 2007, 15:25:22 pm »
Hi all! I am a very loving mother whom has been allowing my 7 1/2 month old sleep with me from birth. Now I can't get any sleep as he is so used to using me as a soother all night long that I am awake the majority of the night. I have decided to put him in his crib (he sleeps in his crib during his naps) at night but how do I go about it? Do I let him cry it out or do I go in after he has been crying for a certain amount of time? Last night I fed him and put him in his crib at about 7:30pm, he woke at about 8:15pm. I let him cry for 30 mins. went in there, nursed him again, put him back in the crib and again he woke up about 30 an hour later...I am so tired....I don't know what to do anymore...

Thanks for your advice in advance!
Sue
Susan Stannard
PROTECTING BABIES IS MY MISSION!

I market non-toxic products to health conscious parents, just like me, who want to avoid harmful ingredients in their everyday essentials.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: baby wakes every 1 1/2 to 2 hours to feed! help!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 21:11:44 pm »
Quote from: Ethan and Will's mama
Do I let him cry it out or do I go in after he has been crying for a certain amount of time?

NO. BW does not support controlled crying or CIO (cry it out) in any way. Are you familiar with Tracy's methods and books? The best way to teach him to sleep in his crib is by supporting him through the transition and letting him know that you will be there when he needs you but that is where he sleeps. PU/PD is a good tool for his age.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Springbaby

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 22:17:38 pm »
Hi Sue, If you read my thread (also in night wakings) you can see that I am just going through the same, or was, he has now been sleeping in his crib for a week! It is so great!  ;D What I have been doing is this. I have stopped nursing to sleep totally, try to nurse 1/2 hr or so before nap time or bed. Get rid of the nurse-sleep association.  Then, when I know he is getting a bit tired, we go into his room, turn down the lights a bit, read a book (or try to) then I sing him a song (always the same one) and then say my key words (sleepy time, it's ok) and lay him down. It took maybe 3 days and he new nap time was next :) When he cries or stands up (don't know if your lo is standing yet) I gently hug him (without picking up) say key words again and repeat. I have been touching him to try to soothe him while he is laying down, but ultimately I will not touch at all, I only touch him now if he is getting worked up again. It will seem very hard at first, trust me! BUT, they catch on very quickly! I think it took 1/2 hr the first time but has been getting better ever since. I did start on naps for a week first, but wasn't all that consistant.

For nights, now that is the harder one. Personally, I have switched to formula for nights, although now that he is down to 2 feedings I do nurse for one of them. I 'think' you should try to cut out every 2nd feeding at first, at least that is how I would tackle it. You may be surprised, he may not wake as much if you aren't there right beside him and available, kwim? You should go through and read up on other threads about the nights maybe. The biggest thing is to stay consistant. He is learning something new, how to go to sleep alone, and it will only confuse him, as you know, if you give in and take him to bed.

This was very hard for me, I really do miss sleeping with him. BUT, I really really miss my sleep! I really think pu/pd will work well for you, babies learn very quickly! my ds knows that if I lay him back down a couple of times now, that I mean business and that it is time to sleep. Or at least I think he knows that  :P I am quite new at all of this too, so hopefully someone with more experience will post with more advice. good luck and please keep us posted!

Another thing, go and read some of the success stories, (especially when you are feeling like quitting) they really help alot!

take care,

Ruby

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 22:45:43 pm »
What an encouraging response, Ruby! Than you sooo much! ;D, you have helped more than you think! I will do my best to be consistant as I think that is one of my major downfalls...wish me luck! I really do appreciate your advice and will try your suggestions starting tonight!

Warmest Regards,
Sue
Susan Stannard

I market non-toxic products to health conscious parents, just like me, who want to avoid harmful ingredients in their everyday essentials.

Offline Springbaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 01:46:01 am »
:) It is probably my biggest downfall too, I am such a softy (how can you not be!) when he cries and hugs me! There has been many a time when I look dow the hall at my bed and wish I could just take him to bed with me for one night! But, not yet, I keep saying to myself that it will come! Hope you have a successful night, even though it will most likely be a hard and tiring one.

~Ruby

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 02:04:27 am »
THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT RUBY! Wish me luck....I have my PU/PD notes...ha,ha!
Susan Stannard

Offline Springbaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 21:08:03 pm »
Just wondering how you are making out :) Hope all is well!

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 21:27:37 pm »
it's going, that is all I can really say! lol! still working at it, thanks for the extra support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Susan Stannard