Author Topic: How can I get lo to play quietly when she wakes up?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline jchang

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.sdhealthylife.com
How can I get lo to play quietly when she wakes up?
« on: January 24, 2007, 21:24:38 pm »
When my 2yo lo wakes up, she walks to our bed & starts crying loudly & yells "Get up!" repeatedly until we get out of bed.  I'd like her to play by herself or read for a few minutes so dh & I can wake up a little more gently.  Any ideas as to how I can accomplish this?  I've tried popping in a dvd but that doesn't work anymore.  Also tried having come into our bed to just hang out, but she's on to us so won't do it anymore.

Offline maggieruth

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 251
Re: How can I get lo to play quietly when she wakes up?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 22:05:55 pm »
oh, i am going to lurk here too!  i haven't a clue but would love to see what people say
we just get the most long drawn out cries of MOOOOOMMMy, daaaaaaaaaady EVER!
sometimes tho, ds wakes cuz he wants the toilet and can stay dry!  :o

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 02:58:03 am »
What does she want to do when she gets up?  My LO sleeps with a ton of stuffed animals, books, and other distractions in her crib, so when she first wakes up unless something is bothering her, she's usually quite content to stay in there and play.  When she gets tired of being in there she'll stay with us for awhile and watch some tv -- however, if she's hungry, that's when we get the "Momma up!" cries (which makes sense to me!) so downstairs we go for some breakfast.  I think a lot of it depends on the temperament of your LO.  Mine was usually pretty good at staying in her crib when she woke up, from the time she was a few months old on.  She would just lay there chatting with her crib bumper, mobile, etc. 

When she wakes up, if she's interested in a certain toy, you could always bring that up to you room...if she's thirsty, keep a cup of water handy, stuff like that.  If she just seems to want you up and about, I'm not sure what to do about that.  Get your revenge when she's a teenager and doesn't want to get out of bed I guess. ;)

Offline jchang

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.sdhealthylife.com
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 18:32:51 pm »
ok, maggieruth, I tried something the past 2 mornings that seems to work so far.  I filled one of her carts with a picture book, a couple of toys, a picture or 2 of the family and left it right outside her door.  So when she gets up, she pushes the cart to her toy & starts playing.  She hasn't cried or screamed "Get up!" and it gives us about 20 minutes to wake up so that's been a major improvement.  I didn't put too many things in her cart because I'm afraid I'll run of things that'll hold her interest since I want to rotate the items every night.  I'm also going to see if she'll watch a little tv in bed with us.

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 21:54:41 pm »
ethan is still in a crib and but has some toys in a little hanging basket so i might just try doing a toy rotation!  thanks!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 00:48:21 am »
i set a string of christmas lights to a timer set for 7:15.  she knows she can come out when her lights come on. 
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy