Author Topic: catnap for under 3 mo old?  (Read 759 times)

Offline bafmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 25, 2007, 13:22:14 pm »
Hello...This is the first time I have posted.  Just need some clarification about the evening catnap.  I have had my ds on the BW routine since birth.  He is now ten wks old.  My question is:  Should I start implementing the catnap at this age?  I am just very confused by this.  Tracey indicates in the book that you shouldn't overstimulate the baby. Isn't that exactly what happens with only allowing the catnap at the end of the day when the baby is already tired from his day?  My ds is a great sleeper, but he has been waking up after only an hour sleep in the late afternoon.  Should I Shh-pat him back to sleep?  I have been keeping him awake & he has been might grumpy the entire awake time.  I think it is because he is so tired. My routine looks like this:
7 E
7:20-~8:00 A
8-10 S
10-~10:30 E
10:30-11 or 11:15 A
~11-1 S
1-1:30 E
1:30-2:00-2:15 A
~2:00 S
4 E[flash=200,200]
4:30-btwn 5 & 5:15 A
5:15-6 or a little later S--baby wakes himself up lately.  I used to let him sleep until 7.
6-7 A
7 E
~7:15 bath, massage, story
~7:40-8:00 bed
10:00 Dreamfeed

He usually sleeps from the dreamfeed until 7 the next morning--I have to wake him up.  He puts himself to sleep almost always.  Am I doing this right?  ???

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: catnap for under 3 mo old?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 14:02:13 pm »
hi there
welcome to the boards and sorry it's taken a while to respond!
I think your routine looks generally great and clearly so does your ds as he is sleeping through at 10 weeks! well done you
I think you could do with a bit of tweaking to stop him getting grumpy and overtired at the end of the day. If he is waking himself at 6 from that last nap then sounds like he is ready to have just a catnap. As a result I would bring your evening routine, bath, massage, story etc forward to aim to have him in bed ready for sleep by about 7 - 7.15pm. Most babies thrive on a 12 hour day/ 12 hour night, and at the moment due to him previously having longer naps you have a 13 hour day. When dd was tiny that last A time was just about bath, jammies on, bottle and then bed.
hope this helps
kathryn x
]