Author Topic: Tree nut (coconut in our case) free formula?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline snappysara

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I love my baby boy!
Tree nut (coconut in our case) free formula?
« on: January 26, 2007, 14:18:02 pm »
Has anyone found a formula that does not contain coconut (oil)? My husband is allergic to tree nuts and coconuts as well, and we have been advised to avoid these foods for our son (3 months), this hasnt been a problem since I have been breastfeeding.  But we want to start supplimenting with formula and cant find a kind that doesnt have coconut. 
We have given my son a few types to start with formula, we were naive and didnt look at the ingredients (wierd bc we look at EVERYTHING we eat bc of my husbands allergy) and after about 10 bottles over a few weeks we noticed the coconut.  Since then when we have given the odd bottle I noticed my sons eyelids are slightly redish (could be over analyzing... maybe not) - I fear him developing the allergy too.

Please help! Any one else in my shoes?

TIA

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Tree nut (coconut in our case) free formula?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 17:32:33 pm »
I don't know of any formulas without coconut oil. You may want to check with an allergist, but I believe that the oil wouldn't be allergenic anyway - only the actual fruit. But in any case, does he have any other signs besides slightly reddish eyes? If there is a family history of allergies you may want to exclusively breastfeed as long as possible...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01