Author Topic: sippy cups???  (Read 1035 times)

Offline AidansMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mum to Aidan (Nov 16/05) and Oliver (dec 8/08)
sippy cups???
« on: January 27, 2007, 04:07:11 am »
ok ladies, lets here it.....what kind of sippy do you use? do you use different ones at different times - like in highchair as opposed to at bedtime as opposed to an ongoing water sippy throughout the day?
I am having a heck of a time finding good one!  WOuld love to hear your thoughts!

hugs, Tammy

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: sippy cups???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 13:13:55 pm »
Hi Tammy,

For juice and watter we use the Avent hard spout sippy and for milk in the evening we use the Nuby soft spout.  DS picked this one out himself and loves it.

HTH's

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Lola

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 13:49:32 pm »
We started at 6mos with the Avent sippy but she didn't quite get that she had to tip back her head to drink from it. We switched to the Gerber straw sippy-hardly ever spills, solid wide base, two handles and the straw top flips over to close it. Easy to wash. She picked up on the straw really quick which I like bc if we are ever out and forgot her sippy, she'd just use a straw.  The Avent ones are a pain to wash cuz you have to wash all the parts ie, seal, plug, rim etc.  I also heard that normal sippys can sometimes impede speech development as teh formation of the tongue is different than that of using a straw.

M now uses all types. She's got straw, normal, Nuby (they hardly leak and there are no extra valves to wash), and older kids sport sippys which aren't really sippy but they have to learn how to suck from teh rim.
No prob's with any of them. It will likely depend on how your lo does with what you get...
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline debo620

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 16:31:21 pm »
we started with a soft straw sippy without the regulator and we still use that for water. I don't like it for milk because I never feel that I am getting the straw totally clean form the milk.

I quite like the plain tupperware cups with the sippy lids. they hold 7oz and my son does well with these for his milk. so far he is still having a bottle at bedtime, but breakfats milk and snack milk are  from sippythese do leak out the spout, but he is sitting in his high chair at the time
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline allchrste

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I love my new sister!
    • Al's World
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 21:56:43 pm »
When my DS was first transitioning from a bottle to a sippy, we gave him the nuby's with the soft nipple, but now we give him the Gerber sippys with the hard tops. 

Does anyone know when it is proper to take children off sippy cups and into a normal cup?