Author Topic: What am I doing wrong? I think I have the worse eater :( :(  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
What am I doing wrong? I think I have the worse eater :( :(
« on: January 28, 2007, 01:57:02 am »
Good grief after reading a lot of these posts and replys, I HONESLTY think I have the worse eater of all times. 

What the heck do I do????  My son WILL NOT eat  Meat or Veggies.  He will eat hotdogs, peanute butter and some fruit. 

So if he does not eat his breakfast (which is rarely), should I just refuse any snack etc. until his next scheduled snack time which is 1.5 hours from breakfast?  Then if he refuses dinner, should I avoid all snacks as well???

I guess we have been so concerned about him eating, because he has never been a big eater, that I just give in to him and give him whatever he is screaming/whinning for.  It can be a popcycle or a cookie :(  I am so ashamed to say it, but he eats a lot of popcycles and cookies.  Should I just SAY NO!!!!!!!!!!!  And listen to the tantrum? 

Thanks, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: What am I doing wrong? I think I have the worse eater :( :(
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 03:05:15 am »
I think many toddlers become picky and often graze throughout the day.  I would let him not eat meals and still offer snacks. I would just start to offer healthy snacks instead of cookies, that way he is still getting some nutrition into him.  Have you been unable to fine a breakfast that he will eat?  Mine loves bananas so when she refuses her cereal I mash a banana into some yogurt and she's happy.  He may be refusing food cause he knows he can have a "better" snack later (the cookie.)  I would not give cookies and stuff like that unless he is eating better meals then maybe he will learn.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 03:40:40 am »
don't feel guilty about the cookies and popcycles, you are doing what you think is the best, could you try making health popcycles, i am sure if you need recipes there are many that have great ones, about the cookies could you try making healthy ones

dd1 charley never had any juice until oh maybe 18 months and then much later it became her think and because i was heavily pregnant or just had a new baby i gave in every time she ask for a juice, well guess what it took one day to wean her off the juice, i just hid it, she does only have about 20mls juice in 200mls water, i make one juice every night ready for her to have first thing in the morning, i only give her another in the afternoon if it is really hot and i want her to have extra fluid, even then it is just not necessary anymore as she drinks water happily again, at first it was difficult she would cry for about a few minutes and then give in and drink that water, i realise this is different to the eating thing just wanted to tell you what i did about the drink

charley was always a difficult baby to feed, and she is a picky eater, these days she is better, some days better than other days, what i do is give her a few small bites of what she has easily eaten in the past and a few small bites of what she struggles with and then something she loves, sometimes i just add some pasta to the vegetable water, i only give her a small amount of what she loves and put the rest in a bowl on the table, when she refuses to eat what she has on her plate then she gets no more, most times she finishes off her plate to get what she wants, we do not do cookies, i leave this for when we are out, ever noticed how people all offer your children cookies just before a meal time, i offer cherry tomatoes, cucumber sticks, cheese sticks, the list is endless

don't think you have to stick to breakfast food at breakfast, serve what you ds will eat and what you are happy for him to eat,

i would try and hold off on giving any snacks if ds didn't eat his meals, that is if this is what you want, some people are happy to let their los eat snacks all day, i never did this, trust how you feel and you have nothing to be ashamed

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 17:11:13 pm »
:(  Sniff sniff.. I AM A BAD PARENT..  No... really it is just the pregnancy hormones.  I am getting upset about everthing now.

I am going to HID all the BAD food and start offering more healthy snacks.  I totally aggree, I think sometimes his sugar drops and the cookie, etc. helps, but then he crashes.  That could explain a lot of his MOOD SWINGS.

So.... What are some healthy snacks/ meals??  Here is what he likes:

- NO vegetables at all.
- Crackers
- All Natural Peanute butter mixed with flax seed
- I did make some homemade cookies with Sunbutter and Flax seed.
- He hates all meats...
- He hates pasta
- He loves fruits, We do a lot of smoothies (has sugar, but still getting the fruit)
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 17:41:38 pm »
I found out I was pregnant Friday :)  I am not far along at all.  I actually went to the doctor for my hormones.  I thought I was going crazy.  Well... I am pregnant!

I have been getting him smoothies at Tropical Smoothie and they do add sugar to it, BUT I am going to make him some at home with just the fruit and ice.

He cannot have soy either.  He actually had a worse reaction to the soy, than milk. 

I just put away all the cookies and popcycles.  From here out... We are starting OVER!!!
Wendy -

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 18:34:17 pm »
Congratulations Wendy!

I agree with Stacy - definitely make the smoothies at home. And yes, I thought he liked spaghetti? If so, blend meat and or veggies into the sauce!

Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 21:07:18 pm »
Wil he eat sandwiches? If so puree up some veges and spread it on the sandwich.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 00:16:08 am »
I have never thought of that Natasha:  GREAT IDEA, because he will (well pick at a sandwich), but that is all his does lately anyhow. 

Today I don't even think he ate.  Breakfast:  Refused, Lunch:  Peanute butter crackers, Dinner: Nothing.. ???
Wendy -

binxyboo

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 03:48:52 am »
I agree with pp, if he doesn't eat his meals, then you could offer a healthy snack, and if he doesn't want that, then I'd wait until the next meal time. I think our los are old enough now to grasp this.

Riley doesn't get an am snack at all, with lunch early now that he's on one nap, there really isn't enough time in the day. He gets a small pm snack most days, usually 'cos we are out at this time.

Offline AidansMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mum to Aidan (Nov 16/05) and Oliver (dec 8/08)
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 03:56:54 am »
Wendy!
FIrst of all, congratulations on your pregnancy!!!
Second, I feel for you.  I too am a mom of a picky eater!  ::)  I don't have any magic answers but I have found that if I wait utnil my lo is hungry to feed him it helps.  IF this means no am snack or whatnot, then that is what I do.  I also don't let him sip milk or juice in between meals, only milk in sippy at meal times.  I agree with pp when they said that our lo's are getting old enough to understand that it is meal time and they should eat if hungry bc they aren't going to get something else 10 minutes later (again, feeding them when hungry helps with this).  Also, I think that for me MY attitude effects it.  I TRY and be really positive about the meal and express this and it seems to help.  I also agree with pp who said that if you think he hates the food and won't eat it then he won't.   Sometimes I see Aidan take a bite and look at me, i think waiting for a rxn, and i just continue doing something else - i don't give a rxn and that helps too.
I hope something i have said is helpful bc I know it is SO HARD at times.  You are doing a great job Mommy!
Hang in there!
hugs, Tammy

Offline *Natasha*

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 04:35:20 am »
Wendy i had a though does Zach eat his meals with you and your DH or on his own? I ask as DD started eatinf very little for her dinner until she started having it with DH and i and she started eating much better.

Natasha proud Mum to:

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 17:04:58 pm »
Thanks Tammy for your support!

Natasha:  I eat all three meal with him, I always have.  The 2 of us rarely eat toghter because DH work schedule, so when he works he is not home for any of the meals.

Today has been a better day though:  It is just after lunch and this is what he has had so far:

Wake: 8 oz. Rice milk
Breakfast: 2 bites of bagel
Snack:  a whole thing of applesause!!!  He has never ate the entire 4 oz. never!
Lunch: 10 french fries and 2 bites of cheeseburger (his 1 day a week treat).

I plan on an apple for snack and then spegetti for dinner!!!

QUESTION: 
Wendy -

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 17:06:55 pm »
opps.. Okay so Question:

He wakes up really thirsty, but I think giving him his milk before breakfast is causing him not to be hungry enough to eat much. 

Should I just offer a few sips of water and then breakfast with milk??

We normally wake up and he drins his milk while watching Sesame Street and I go in the kitchen and fix mine and his breakfast.
Wendy -

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 17:09:14 pm »
Glad he's doing better today Wendy! What kind of dairy free cheeseburger are you giving him? Does he like the new fries as much as McDonalds? Good luck with dinner and spaghetti. Maybe try pureeing some veggies into the spaghetti sauce? Zucchini works well. And you can buy spaghetti made from lentils (instead of wheat) at a health market - good protein that way!

As for milk, we always give M her milk before breakfast. It's what she wants right away and I can't really blame her. Plus I like it better that way as it means she can wait a bit for breakfast and we can eat together. I give her 4 ounces milk tops upon waking and she can have more after breakfast if she wants it. Her breakfast is anywhere from 15-45 minutes after milk, depending on whether she seems hungry, walks over to her booster, etc.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 19:21:01 pm »
Karen:  I did not find a dairy free hamburger (sorry, it was a hamburger, not cheese).  I got him one at McDonald's. 

DH and I had a VERY long talk to the other night after I cried for hours.  I just felt like nothing was working in making Zach happy.  He whined no matter what.  No dairy or dairy.  He already is a very picky eater and I felt like I was totally deprieving him.

Anyhow DH and I decieded that we would give him food with milk ingredients in it, but not cheese, yogurt or actual milk and see how he does.  We really think a lot of the whinning is just what he is used to.  Now we look at him and say "Zach you are whinining, please stop" and of course he does. 

The whinning is not from being in pain, I think sometimes I am just looking for an answer to why he does it so much.  I also have come up with a schedule for eating and our activties, just so he knows what to expect and when.  So far it is working.

Eventually we may try cheese and yogurt, but not rushing it at all.  I really think he is okay with it cooked in stuff.

I am going to puree some Zuchinni in the spegetti sauce tonight, that sounds really yummy.

Well better run, he has been asleep since 12:15 and will be waking up soon (it is 2:30 now).

Wendy -

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 20:49:07 pm »
Wendy, I thought you said that Zach had been much happier off milk until you reintroduced cheese, etc? Sorry if I'm wrong. In any case, whining is DEFINITELY normal for any 18-month old. Marisa whines too. But if Zach is less fussy/happier off milk, especially if the immunologist feels he is MSPI, better to hold off until he's at least 2, IMHO.

But if you and DH want to give him "hidden" dairy cooked in foods that is of course your decision. I would only urge you to think twice about offering him stuff like McDonald's burgers and fries weekly. In addition to the dairy, there is so much that is unhealthy in that food (trans fats, etc) that it's just not worth it. I make my own burgers, but if you don't want to/don't have time, what about Trader Joe's? Or a chain like "Better Burger"?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 01:20:32 am »
To be honest, I cannot even remember when he was compelety off dairy.  I mean his poops did clear right up (the mucus and diaherra went right away), and I think he seemed happier, but still whined a lot.  Then he got that stomach bug and was in the hospital. 

After that my DH introdcued cheese to him and he seemed fine with it.  The only thing I did notice (espcially now since he is not having it), is it did give him a lot of really smelly gas.

So I honestly do think he can handle dairy cooked and in very small amounts. 

I am still watching it, but just not as closely as I was.  I mean if he wants a bite of my bagel
(the has a milk ingredient in it), then I am going to give it to him. 

I totally agree with the McDonalds.  I actually am not even going to do that anymore.

As far as my new way of going about his whining.  Well today worked great.  Everytime he whined, I loooked at him and said in a very calm voice "Zach, you are whining, please stop".  It worked. 

He ate wonderful at dinner tonight and afterwards he even played quitly by himself for almost 30 minutes.  I was cleaning the kitchen and kept having to look at him, becuase he was SO QUITE. 

One other thing I did was block all access to the kitchen.  There is a gate leading from the living room and the dining room, so know he can't come in the kitchen whining to get something.

Well better run and clean up..  He made a mess with the spegetti.  BTW, I pureed Zuchinni in it tonight and you could not even tell.

Wendy -

Offline *Natasha*

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 01:31:00 am »
wendy that is fantastic lets hope he keeps it up.

Natasha proud Mum to:

binxyboo

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 01:45:40 am »
My guilty secret is that I LOVE McDonalds breakfasts. I love the egg & cheese bagel, no bacon, the potatoes and coffee. I would eat them every day of the week, but I restrain myself 6 days out of 7.

Sorry Wendy, that piece of trivia doesn't help you at all!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 13:07:11 pm »
The reason I mention that, Wendy, is that I remember you saying that when he went off milk he was like a new boy - not whining all day long, finally into everything, etc. Perhaps he felt so much better at first off the milk but with the hidden dairy and cheese and McDonald's fries, etc he still was in some discomfort? Not sure - maybe he's just being a normal 18 month old LOL and whining - Marisa does sometimes too and have lots of activities and challenges for her certainly helps. In any case, glad the zucchini worked well!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 17:36:33 pm »
Michelle:  I LOVE McDonalds's breakfast also.  My bad thing was Starbucks coffee every single day, no joke. I got a Mocha everyday.  Well now with being pregnant, it has been so hard to stop.  I did De-caf for a couple days and now I am trying nothing...  I don't know how that is going to work out, because it was like my little treat...

Karen:  You know I do remember saying that (sorry I have had so much on my mind lately).  Anyhow that he was a new boy into everything and maybe you are right with the hiddne dairy in fries, it still made him whine some. 

Who knows.....  I am just going to stick with what we said we are going to do and see if the whinning stops. 

So far today has been a good day.  He has ate well and everything.

Wendy -

binxyboo

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 20:44:15 pm »
My ob said it was better to drink one small coffee (8 ounce) than decaffinated becasue of all the chemicals in it.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 22:41:04 pm »
I've heard that too with coffee. I was/am so paranoid that I just cut it out completely.

Wendy - does Zach drink juice? If so, you can offer V8 Fusion juice - I give Marisa 4-6 ounces/day and it has a serving of both fruit and veggies.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 00:36:11 am »
I never knew that about coffee.  I will have to ask about that.

Karen:  I have given Zach that juice before and he liked it.  I need to get some more.  It has been a while since I gave it to him because when he was having chronic diaherra, we avoided all juice.  Thanks for reminding me.

Well better run, DH has cooked me a steak tonight!!!
Wendy -

Offline AidansMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mum to Aidan (Nov 16/05) and Oliver (dec 8/08)
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 20:43:39 pm »
Wendy,
Your question was probably already answered many times over but............With breakfast I always get a few bites into Aidan then hand him his sippy to drink from while I feed him his breakfast (lately he will eat french toast so i feed him this and he takes sipps of milk as needed).  If I give him milk before breakfast he won't eat much. hth.
Stay strong Wendy, you are doing the right things, it will come together, it will!
Big hugs, Tammy

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 02:57:57 am »
I tried offering breakfast first, but he still are the same.  We are so used to waking up and snuggling on the couch while he drinks his milk (and I wake up).  I am just going to stick to that and not worry about it.

He pretty much eats all morning long.  He will eat a little breakfast (ex: pancakes) and come back a little while later and eat another one (mini).

For the past few days though, he has not eaten much of anything, but......  he is eating soemthing...

Wendy -