Author Topic: 3 mo old night waking  (Read 1144 times)

Offline ada320

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 29, 2007, 00:09:14 am »
My son seems to be waking up at 2 and at 4 every night now.  I know he can sleep through the night because he has done it about 4 times.  When he wakes he eats a full feeding.  During the day he eats 6-7 times.  Should I keep feeding him or try to get him back to sleep?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 3 mo old night waking
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 01:11:48 am »
Can you please provide some more information, like your LO's age, routine, etc.?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline ada320

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 17:41:22 pm »
Sorry!  My son is three months and we just started on this EASY routine.  WE get up at
7 feed
7:30 activity
7:45 he starts acting tired so I go put him to bed.  I do the sh/pat method without the pat.  I just lay my hand on him because I think that makes him get more worked up.  I only do the pu/pd when he is really screaming.  (Not sure if I am doing it right)  I have to keep putting the paci in because he spits it back out and then crys more because he doesn't have it.
(He only sleeps about 30 min for naps which he wakes tired from, but I can never get him back to sleep)
He ends of staying up until his next feeding at 10 and he wants to go to sleep right after that.  I keep him up about 5-10 min then try again to sleep.  The day continues like that and he ends up being tired and cranky all day because of his naps.

His bedtime is usually 7:30 or 8 and I give him a dreamfeed at 10 or 11.

I am not sure if the night wakings and naps are part of the paci thing.  I think it might be a prop but I am not sure if I should get rid of it.  He is still young  and needs to suck on something but at the sametime I cna't have him waking up for it.  Any advise would be helpful!  They say not to rush in to get him when he wakes and I don't but he has never but himself back to sleep.  He ends up screaming.

I am not sure what to do.  I have read so many people saying that this routine works for them but I am just not seeing it.  I don't know if I am doing it wrong or not.  I am just ready to pull my hair out.  Please give advise if you can.

Thanks!!!

Thanks! :) :)

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 17:48:27 pm »
Have you checked out the sample easy routines for that age group?
Some babies still need a feed in the night at that age. I wouldn't think he would need two.  If you feed him at 2 and he wakes at four do you feed him again?  I would try to pat/shh at that time instead of a feed.  If he isn't taking good naps the wakings could also be an overtired thing...
I don't know if pu/pd is recommended for 3 months or 4.  Three might be a little early??  Not sure about that.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 17:52:51 pm »
Like momofclaire said, check out the sample EASY routines and see how similar your routine is to other folks. It sounds to me like you already know your problem is the naps - 30 minutes is not enough for LO to get rested. I think he's in a cycle of overtiredness.

PU/PD is not for babies under 4 months so you definitely need to stop that for now. He's too  young to understand and learn anything from it. Stick with the shhh/pat (I also did more of a shh/hold  ;) ).
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline ada320

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 20:21:33 pm »
Thanks for the advise.  I am new to this website.  Where do I find the sample routines for this age group?  Also, I definately think he is overtired.  Do you have any suggestions for stopping this cycle?  Oh, when he wakes at 4 I usually put his paci in or do the sh/pat thing.  Thanks again!

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 01:26:41 am »
Ada- Here is a link to the easy board for his age.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=10384.0 

Here is the 3-6 he could be on the cusp.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=10385.0

I found this on the homepage under activity called EASY FORUM
There is a ton of info there. 
Here is a link on pu/pd just so you know why it is not recommended for 3 months
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=89.0

Sorry for all the links but I think they may help.

The only way to stop the tired cycle is to get on a good sleep sch. 
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]