Author Topic: Early morning wakings... what do I do?  (Read 614 times)

Offline cbell

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Early morning wakings... what do I do?
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:39:51 am »
My 9.5 month old girl has been a great sleeper since she was 4 months old. She would go to bed at 7pm and not wake till about 6am. About 3 weeks ago she got a cold, the following week was when it all started... waking at 5am. It has been a week now and 5 out of 7 mornings have been earlier than normal. My fear is that it is a habit now but a couple of things that has happened is that she has become a picky eater so I am wondering if she is getting enough supper to tide her over till morning. When I give her her bottle she downs it in minutes. She doesn't seem to be very willing to have much these days but she will drain her bottle no problem. I thought perhaps it was a growth spurt but she was very fussy when it came to solids. I also thought it might be teeth (which I haven't entirely ruled out) but I have been saying that for awhile now. The gums are certainly white but nothing yet.

Here is her schedule prior to last week:
6am - wake
9:30 ish - nap
10:15 - wake
2pm - nap
3:30 - wake
7pm - bedtime

Here is what has been happening to date:
5:15 - wake
8:30 ish - nap
10:30 - wake (usually makes up for the extra hour she missed)
2:30 - nap
3:15 - wake
7pm -bedtime

So I am wondering if it is a phase and just accept the 5am mornings as opposed to 6am? Or should I adjust her schedule and try to keep her up later and go to bed at 8pm? I don't particularly like that option and would rather keep the 7pm bedtime. She hasn't started crawling yet but she has started scootching on her bum, going from bum to belly and back. I am expecting her to crawl any day now. Also should I increase her milk in take before bed to see if that helps?

What to do, what to do... If only I didn't require so much sleep to function.  :P

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Early morning wakings... what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 17:56:08 pm »
Quote from: cbell
If only I didn't require so much sleep to function.  :P

I've often thought the same thing.  ;)

It sounds to me like the early waking is developmental, and maybe teething related too. The mobility milestones are brutal on sleep unfortunately. Give her tons and tons of time to practice during the day and then she'll master the skills faster as well as get the urge out of her system (hopefully!).
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o