Author Topic: almonds  (Read 870 times)

Offline pawre

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 02, 2007, 00:56:03 am »
Hi Mums,

I dont' have too much knowledge in this area.  I am breastfeeding, not allergic to seeds or nuts but do have eczema.  My DD (8mos) hasn't been shown any allergies so far.  Nevertheless am avoiding peanuts as advised by midwife. 

I have given her tahini (sesame paste) and there hasn't been any problems.

My question is about almonds.  Is that the same family as peanut? Can you still be allergic to them? Is that still a "nut"? Or it's one of the least likely nuts not to give any problems? So I'm not sure if I should give her some.  I have some muesli with some almonds in it.   

Also since sesame is ok for her can I proceed with pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds later (grinded of course).

Thanks!

Offline snappysara

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I love my baby boy!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 18:22:34 pm »
Hi
My husband had nut allergies so I know this first hand.
A peanut is a legume, like a bean.  Not a nut.  Peanuts grow underground.
A nut grows on a tree, examples of nuts are: almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans....
Both peanuts and TREE nuts cause allergic reations in some people.  They are different but both known allergens.
Some people are allergic only to peanuts, not TREE nuts.  Some both.  Some only the tree nuts.  My husband can eat peanuts but will go into shock if he eats TREE nuts or coconuts.
Some people with a TREE NUT allergy are also allergic to coconuts (which are the seed of the coconut tree) also nutmeg is not 100% nutfree either.  Nether is pesto. :) FYI
It is best to treat all nuts with caution untill you are sure your lo isnt allergic.

As for seeds I am not sure, so I cant give advice.  But I havent heard much about seed allergies.  So pumpkin or sunflower may be introduced... A seed is much different then a nut. A seed is found in a fruit. :)

Offline osmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 28
Re: almonds
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 18:30:59 pm »
I second what pp said. My ds has a tree nut allergy. He can eat peanuts, but not almonds, walnuts, macadamia (pretty much any other nut)  I'm pretty sure you should avoid all nuts until the age of two, but our ped was very cautious because of our son's eczema and reactions to some foods.  By the way...we dont have any food allergies in our family and our son turned out with a deadly tree nut allergy.  I would err on the side of caution when it comes to nuts. The allergy builds up in their system and each reaction is worse than the last one. Nut allergies are pretty serious business.  Erin
Erin -

Offline pawre

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 04:34:16 am »
thank you !  so much clearer now..