Author Topic: 7x a night wakings! HELP  (Read 3416 times)

Offline keksa23

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 19:12:45 pm »
Hi momofclaire,
I wanted to wait until tomorrow (Friday) night to start anything because I am so exhausted and I might as well wait until the weekend to do anything as far as changing DS's habits.

I will definitely let you guys know how it goes (pray for me! lol)...

Also, he is not on an "easy schedule"...where do I post about that because someone else also suggested that as well, I just couldn't find the board

Keksa-  Just wanted to see how it's going?  Stacy has given wonderful advice.  I haven't read your other posts sorry.  Are you on a good easy sch now? 

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: 7x a night wakings! HELP
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 19:27:42 pm »
Keksa-

Here is the link to the easy board
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=41.0
Be sure to check out the faq sticky at the top.  There is a ton of info there about how to start easy. Good Luck.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 19:31:36 pm »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=10385.0   - link to easy sch for your babies age
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=69369. - link to starting easy after 4 months of age
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63534.0  Just about easy

Hope these help.  I would recommend getting a copy of the BW book.  I reference mine all the time.  It has been very helpful.
Good Luck
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline NiknLily

• Showing Appreciation 82
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 20:49:18 pm »
Hi Keska23
Sorry I cocked up the "quote" feature on my last post, the quote was just the first paragraph, the rest was my post.
I have my fingers crossed for you, for this weekend.
newmum x

Offline keksa23

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 17:25:57 pm »
newmumx,
thanks so much...i hope everything goes right for me too.
i don't know if i should just start with changing his feeding schedule or start with that AND the pu/pd...based now on the suggestions of the other nice ladies here of going over to the easy board.
i feel so sorry for him already; i know he's going to be hard-headed about it, but it's for his own good! LOL
thank you...i will keep everyone posted

Offline NiknLily

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 19:47:12 pm »
Hi Keska23
One last piece of advise, try not to feel sorry for him and don't feel guilty, your not doing anything wrong, quite the opposite, your not hurting him in any way and he certainly wont love you any less for putting him on EASY and sleep training.  Keep in mind that a baby who sleeps well is a baby who eats well is a baby who thrives and babies really do thrive on a good routine, they like to know whats coming next so they can concentrate on doing what babies do best learning everything there is to know about his world and he will feel secure and comforted knowing that mummy knows best whats good for him.
newmum x

Offline keksa23

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 20:00:09 pm »
 ::)
Hi ladies,
Well here is my very short update on how things went this weekend.
Friday evening and night I noted his wake up times and routines (oh my goodness, it looks so much worse on paper lol...like 10 wakings)...and then Saturday and Sunday I went ahead with the EASY schedule.
All I can say is WOW!
He actually sort of fell into the sleep parts easily, because I just watched for the sleepiness signs and then did his usual rocking and voila!
The feedings were just a little rocky - I had to supplemental with 2 daily cereal/carrot mixtures.
His sleep has been the same for these last few nights though...should I be expecting this to change that quickly?

1) How long will it be before I start seeing changes in his night sleep?
2) Today would be day 4 of him being on EASY, so what is next for him? Do I just keep going with EASY and hope his night sleeping will change? Or do I do something in addition to this at night (i.e., refusing a bottle for him and use patting instead, etc.?) I think he also has an ear infection, any homeopathic remedies or medicines for suggestion?

Thank you all! And please keep giving me advice - I am just having such a hard time with this and it's really taking a toll on my confidence as far as feeling like I have control over a situation is concerned, and also feeling like I lack creativity when it comes to being a mother for my child.

Offline NiknLily

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 23:01:00 pm »
Hi Keska
Great news that EASY is going so well.  In answer to your questions, there is no way of knowing how long it will take before you start seeing an improvement in his night sleep.  Really you need to get as much formula into him as you can during the day, but only at the right time for his schedule by cluster feeding in the evening and dream feeding no later than 11pm (10.30 probably best so its done by 11pm) then things should improve.  If you do this and things still don't start to improve then it may be time to work on sleep training. 

You will need to be fairly confident tho' that you can tell the difference between mummy I'm hungry feed me now! and mummy I woke up help me back to sleep, cries.  You can do this by listening carfully to his cries when he wakes and noting how much he actually takes from the bottle.  If he doesn't take much at all then it will most likely be he just wanted the bottle to go back to sleep, if he takes a good feed then you can be sure it was a hungry cry.  You should be find that the cries will be different, all babies are different so I cant say for sure what they will sound like.  I do know that a new borns hungry cry starts with a little cough noise in the back of there throat before the wa waa waaa, but I don't know at what age this cry changes.

Remember what I mentioned about the time of the wakings, if your sure he has had a good daily intake then wakings that occur less than 3.5/4 hrs (whichever schedule your on) should be treated as night wakings not hunger wakings.

When you ask what is next do you just keep him on EASY, the answer is YES, he is now an EASY baby and will remain so until he no longer takes daytime naps.  But remember that they don't stay still on easy for very long at all, his routine will gradually change as he grows he will stay awake longer then take fewer and fewer naps until he is on just one a day.  Our job is to be one step ahead and be ready for the changes as they happen, even sometimes give them a gentle nudge along by stretching awake times for them.

I would most definitely get that possible ear infection checked out by your doctor, they can be very nasty and repeat over and over until school age.  Your doctor may know of some homeopathic remedies but its probable he will need antibiotics.  One thing for sure you wont be able to sort out his night wakings and his daytime routine could be upset if he does have an ear infection.

With regard to the solids you have introduced.  If that is really what you want to do or feel you need to do then thats your choice.  My LO was 5 months 1 week when we started solids, I just felt the time was right for us and we haven't looked back.  However be aware that up till they are at least 8/9 months old its all just practice eating really, you aren't relying on the solids to either fill them up, keep them full or provide the nutrients they need.  In fact, milk in whatever form is THE most important part of your LO diet until they are 1 year old.  So it really is important that you get the formula intake up to the max.

I know how you feel about your confidence in your mothering capabilities, but you've just taken a great step forward and it sounds like you have made a really good start.  So kudos to you, you are a good mum.  Once you get really in the swing of EASY and especially when you start to see or make (whichever) some improvement to his night wakings your confidence will take a huge leap forward.

I agree with Stacy about trying to get him to sleep independently without you rocking, but as with the night wakings I would wait until you are confident that you have got the rest of EASY down pat.  Once your happy about your routine it will give you the extra confidence you need to start with the sleep training.  Personally I would sleep train day & night simultaneously so you don't confuse him, other wise he will not know why you rock him at night but not during the day or vice versa.

take care and keep me updated.

newmum x

Offline heartforall260

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 05:28:26 am »
 :-*  I just wanted to send you huggs.  My DD is just a little older than your baby.  We're on a 3.5 hour routine.  I want to pass on some of the best advice I've been given since joining BW, "tackle one problem at a time."  Eating...Naps...Nights...etc.  You can totaly do this!  It'll be really important to have MIL on board with what ever aproach you take.

We're all with you!

~ Joy
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80
Eva Margueritte... our little suprise born August 30th 2006