Author Topic: Can teething be worse at night?  (Read 12816 times)

Offline lulu520

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Can teething be worse at night?
« on: February 04, 2007, 02:52:25 am »
Hey Everyone!  My LO is a little over 7 months and we have been on EASY for quite a while now.  Through all the transitions of EASY everything has been pretty good.  Well, for the past two/three nights she has been crazy crying right before bed.  I know her upper teeth are coming out.  One has poked thru already and the other one I think is in there somewhere.  She also has been drooling like crazy.  The thing is... she goes down for her naps fine w/o a problem w/ no orajel, tylenol, or anything but it's just as night that she seems to be crying like crazy before bed like something is wrong.  The first day I had no problem giving her tylenol b/c I knew her teeth were coming out but this is the third day and I really don't know what is going on.  Of course I try everything like Hylands (which has worked before), Orajel, rubbing something cold on her gums, etc...  before resorting to Tylenol.  Her bottom teeth didn't seem to give her this much problem but maybe the top teeth are bigger???

Just wondering if anyone else found that teething could be worse in the evening.  AND, exactly which part of the teething hurts? Is it right before the tooth pokes thru, while it's coming out fully, or???

Our schedule just in case anyone is curious:
730 - Wake
745 - Milk
815 - Breakfast
1030 - Nap

1145 - Wake
1200 - Lunch
130/200 - Milk
315 - Nap

430 - Wake
500 - Dinner
630 - Bath
715 - Milk
730/800 - Sleep

Offline franniesmith78

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Can teething be worse at night?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 03:04:02 am »
I was told be an Mom of three that orajel actually makes their gums tougher and therefore makes teething more difficult.  I am personally a mortin fan as it lasts longer.  And yes, I think that when they are teething they get cranky by the end of the day.  I think this is just one you may have to ride out

Offline lulu520

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 03:08:13 am »
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of orajel b/c before I tried it on her I put a tiny dab on myself and man.. that stuff makes everything numb so I don't really use it.

So how long does teething usually take?  The thought of tylenol/motrin every night for a few nights doesn't sit well with me but I guess if nothing else works... I mean do you know what part of it actually hurts?  I don't even remember how long it was w/ her first set of teeth but like I said, it didn't seem to bother her as much.

Offline Grace's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 15:02:20 pm »
For us, teething has always been worse in the evenings.  We also don't use any of the gels as 1. Our Dr. said it really doesn't do much 2.  I can never get it on her gums and I have a major wiggle worm and 3. Baby Ibuprofen/Motrin works so much better for us.  I also don't like using it too much but sometimes it's better than having a baby who can't sleep due to all the pain. 

Teething can last different amounts of times.  A few of her teeth took weeks to come in when others took only a week.  It is a hard thing to go through.  We only (usually) have night wakings when she is teething but it usually only happens a few days in a row thank goodness.

We spoke to our dentist and he said that the reason it hurts is because the tooth is slowing pushing through the gums, making a hole for all future teeth to come through.  Sounds so painful, huh?  :P

We have tried putting a teething ring in our daughters crib in case she woke and wasn't feeling too well.  That has helped a bit too. 

Good luck with the teething.  We just had 5 new teeth come through in the past month  :o  so we are right there with you.  The eye teeth have seemed to be the worst for her thus far. 

Mel
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline lulu520

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 15:14:00 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  It's just so weird that she can go down for her naps fine but then when nighttime comes it's like all of a sudden she remembers her teeth hurt or something?

5 teeth in the past month? OMG!!  I can't imagine!  :o  I bet those eye teeth hurt!!  Now I have something to look forward to! :-)  Good luck 2 U too!! 

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 15:18:45 pm »
I agree with pp.  We also like Motrin because it lasts longer.  I will use the orajel if she wakes at night. It seems to take the edge off quickly just enough for her to get back to sleep.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Grace's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 17:10:17 pm »
Thanks.  We actually also have tooth #8 on the way right now.  Fun, fun!  ;)

They may also be more in pain at night because they are worn out from the day and are extra tired and more likely to be irritable.  

I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline lulu520

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 17:22:47 pm »
Thanks All!! :-)

andibig

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 21:05:19 pm »
I think teething affects LOs differently.some teeth with no probs some don't.
unfortunately my DD is not a  great teether and they were worse at night.i think its a combination of being tired by the end of the day and as they relax into their sleep thats when the pain hits.
i never used teething gel cos i could never get it in the right place so used Calpol instead.
shes currently cutting her 2nd year molars and we've been using teething powders which seem to help.

Offline Cooneyi17

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 05:21:47 am »
Yes, it can be. When my daughter was teething, I took her to a very good dentist Torrance. He gave some useful advices that helped relieving the pain. Anyways, it was nice and informative coming across this post. I have to share this with my friends and cousins as well.