Author Topic: when does spoon refusal stop?  (Read 731 times)

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
when does spoon refusal stop?
« on: February 04, 2007, 17:50:10 pm »
dd is yet again refusing to eat anything from a spoon unless it's a yoghurt  ::)
at 13 months I don't want to resort to just finger foods as then how will she learn to eat with a spoon? But she shows no interest in feeding herself with a spoon at all, if I load one and give it to her it goes on the floor.
She has had her own spoon to hold for months now (won't eat at all without it!), have tried her with her own bowl, have tried a fork- that goes the way of the spoon-, alway give her finger food to pick at while I shovel in mouthfuls but now none of this is working either. She clearly wants to eat and is hungry but won't let me feed her. She then gets distressed as she's hungry but is getting no food. I have gotten good at staying chilled out as if I get stressed she picks up on it and refuses to eat even more.
Any ideas? Is driving me bonkers and I feel like I am getting cross with her and I know it's not her fault, poor thing. Help!
]

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 18:01:45 pm »
Actually, 13mos is about the age dd started refusing to let us spoon-feed her, so we just rolled with it and made a full transition to self-feeding.  It's completely appropriate at that age.  They will pick up on how to use utensils by watching you and dh eat.  You just have to be prepared for messy mealtimes for a few months as they get the hang of it.  In the meantime, if they still want "spoon" food like yogurts, pudding, puree, etc, offer it with crackers or other finger foods that are easy to dip.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)