Author Topic: 3.5 mn wakings  (Read 881 times)

Offline nilly

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 04, 2007, 18:24:45 pm »
our 3.5 month LO has occasionally been getting up 2times during the night, (he always use to only wake up once), he is a big boy, weighing 17.5 pounds. i have tried to sh/pt, let him cry a bit, pu/pd, but nothing works. this is the same if he wakes up early from a nap. it is like once he awakes, it is almost impossible to get him back to sleep, unless i feed him during the night, then he is right asleep again. before you think he is hungry when he wakes up at night, he has slept through the night a few times, but here is what happened last night. He woke up 3 hours after his dream feed (2-3 hours earlier than 'normal'). i let him "talk to himself" for about 25 min, till it turned into a steady cry. then i tried to sh/pt him for 1 hour, with few min breaks for my own sanity. he wasn't crying the whole time, stirring a lot, kicking, mixed in with a bit of crying. after i was beat, i feed him, cause we couldn't handle it any longer. he only ate for 4 min, so he obviously wasn't that hungry. anyways, he fell asleep, only at awake 1:10 min later screaming. i thought i would change his diaper, which wasn't even that wet, but he went straight down again.

can anyone make sense of this. i am soooooo tired, welcome to motherhood right? how do you tell if it is a growth spurt, or something else? he would always eat if i let him, but usually only feeds for about 10min and he is full. before you ask me to post his routine, he is on a 3 - 3.5 hour routine, up at 7:30,in bed by 7:00 with a dream feed at 10:00.

if you have read this far, thanks, advise very welcome.

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: 3.5 mn wakings
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 18:32:06 pm »
A growth spurt usually lasts 2-5 days.  Is he eating more during the day?  If he seems hungrier all day then it could be a growth spurt.  If he is really hungry at night and you get him to sleep without feeding then it would make sense for him to wake an hour later because he's still hungry.  If it's a spurt it will pass shortly and things should go back to normal. 
Does he or has he been taking good naps?  What are they like.  Sometimes overtired can cause really bad night time sleep.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline nilly

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 18:50:27 pm »
he doesn't seem to be eating more during the day, that is whay is throwing me off with it being a growth spurt. he has been very consistant with his awake/routine: awake 1.5 hours, sleeps 1.5 hours, were he use to sleep longer. once again, he is very easy to get to sleep, but once he is awake.....not much i can do.

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: 3.5 mn wakings
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 20:09:07 pm »
Are you on EASY with him?  It could be that he is growing but his belly can't handle more food at one time.  Could you post what your day looks like.  The waking could be the result of overtired baby or just needing a little adjustment in the sch. 
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]