Author Topic: Please Help us with our newborn!!!!!!!!  (Read 1326 times)

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« on: February 06, 2007, 18:34:12 pm »
 Hi girls...we are freaking out over here.....
   My 5 week old daughter has been spitting up alot, and it seems to be getting worse every day. She has also begun fussing while feeding, arching her back, crying. (she is bottle fed, although not by choice...long story)
   She was on similac since birth, but we took her to the dr. with these complaints and of course they want to do meds...we're just not ready for that. We switched her to "nestle good start" because several friends had told us it was much more tolerable...no rea;l change. Now she has a very angry looking rash all along the back of her neck and sides of her throat...seems to be creeping onto her face. I am out of my mind.
  Dr says reflux, and that we should switch to soy...but I am so scared (there are some lethal food allergies in my family, and I know these formulas make that more likely later on) and our holistic dr. says it was the similac, and to stick witrh the nestle and this will stop.
  I am terrified to switch to soy....equally as terrified of medication...she's just so little! How can I decide? I just don't know what to do...I am a first-timer, obviously.
 If we do make the switch, which one is the least deviation from milk-base? Our dr said prosobee is closest to milk base, but I just looked it up, and it is soy as well.
  Please help...I am crying as much as she is!!!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Please Help us with our newborn!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 18:38:44 pm »
Could be a milk intolerance give the rash. You might want to try a hypoallergenic formula like Alimentum. If after two weeks on that she isn't better I'd highly recommend seeing a GI doctor and possibly going on reflux meds - they made a HUGE difference here.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 18:52:53 pm »
Alimentum worked fabulously at our house - expensive as can be, but worth it's weight in gold, in my opinion!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 18:58:39 pm »
Thanks so much....but how do you know what the problem is? Milk protein vs. lactose vs. whatever. I am just so scared of the soy formulas...I have seen older kids have tremendously deadly food allergies because of them. My Ped. says that is because the soy based doesn't really "ready" the system for other foods because its so gentle. I am just so scared to start on this roller coaster. What about what the holistic dr. said abotu just waiting it out, and that this new formula will take care of it? How long until you'd see a result? Seems to me we should see improvement right away, no?

Offline jessmccl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 19:08:12 pm »
I have twin 3 month olds (adjusted age 1.5 months) and they were doing what your LO is doing. The rearing back, fussiness,excessive crying can drive one insane. Both girls were diagnosed with severe acid reflux. they both take Prilosec and it is making a huge difference. They are completely different babies. I also was so scared to put the babies on medication. I wanted to wait it out but they need to eat and sleep in order to grow so I gave in.  I would do whatever you can or whatever your pediatrician suggests to help your baby especially regarding allergies.  It is certainly frustrating that our LO's can't tell us what is wrong! good luck!

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 19:20:50 pm »
Anne right?  Baby is Ameila? 
We talked a while ago when you were starting easy and I just wanted to send you some HUGS. 
Unfortunatly it is hard to know what the problem is. Most is trial and error right now. Talk to your doc he knows Amelia and will be able to give the best advice.

Good Luck
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Antoinesmom

• Showing Appreciation 34
  • ???
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 19:34:03 pm »
First, I want to give you a huge hug. I know exactly what you are going thru. My son was exactly like that and finally at two months he was diagnose with acid reflux. He was put on Zantac until he was 9 months, then another med (too long name to remember) for two months. He is now 12 months and hasn't been sick in over a month. Walking and becoming more mobile help with the healing of the problem.

Taking Zantax, helped eased his pain and he started eating better too. It is a hard decision to make but once you see your daughter feeling better and eating better it's all worth it.

I do suggest you stay on Nestly good Start, if you take the one with Omega 3 & 6, it's doesn't froth as much and I noticed he didn't have as much gases (both ends) with this one.

Big hugs again. Marty
My big boy is such a wonderful brother to his new sister.
I am truly blessed.