Author Topic: where on earth to start?  (Read 912 times)

Offline ElizaG

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 06, 2007, 19:19:06 pm »
Hello all, I'm sorry to make my first post on here a plea for help - I hope one day I can reciprocate and help someone else out!

My baby is 5 months old, has been exclusively breastfed up until a week ago and is just starting on a few tastes of solids and being offered some formula when he's with grandparents (yes, I know about the 6 month guidelines  ;))

We don't have a routine as such.  It's chaos!  The main problem is that he only sleeps for between 45 minutes and 2 hours at night, then wakes and needs feeding back to sleep.  I've tried a dummy (pacifier), I've tried cuddling him back to sleep, shush-pat but nothing doing and in the interests of sleep I feed him.

He has 3 or 4 naps a day, no more than 30 minutes each - as soon as he stirs, he wakes himself up.

I think he's exhausted and getting into a cycle of being sleep deprived.

The problem is that I have ME (or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and it's really causing me problems - I now can't sleep even when he's asleep due to the insomnia I get when I'm run down.  I've been diagnosed with PND as well, not surprisingly.

He sleeps in our room in a sidecar cot, often ending up in our bed as he wakes up and we have to start all over again as soon as he goes back into his bed.

Help???

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: where on earth to start?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 21:09:00 pm »
I am sorry things are caotic right now. Sounds like a good routine would help the both of you.  Are you trying to get him on EASY.  Can you post his eating/napping sch during the day for us?  An overtired baby will have more trouble sleeping at night.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: where on earth to start?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 21:20:26 pm »
Have you read any of Tracy's books?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline marifer514

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 21:56:45 pm »
Hi,
A routine will help both of you a lot! Please post your naps and feeds :)