Author Topic: EAS Y GONE WRONG !!!!!!  (Read 817 times)

Offline bisola

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 14, 2007, 18:28:41 pm »
I have a 9 wk old baby whom i have tried to puton the easy routine  from day one. Every thing seemed to be going fine the first three weeks but now i feel its all going wrong. My lo literally whats to feed every 1.30- 2hrs during the day, wakes once or twice during the night but at time three times. Can anyone pleasee HELP. My baby is fully breastfed and is only able to take a breast at each feed. Below is our typical routine.

Baby wakes between 6.30 and 7am
feeds between 7.30-8 a.m for about 5-7mins
coes and smiles at me till about 8.30 when he has a quick bath
Normally settles and sleeps by 9am but at times he wont sleep till i breastfeed for about 2-3 mins
wakes by 10 and feeds for 5-7mins
stays awake till about 11-11.30am and sleeps till 1-2pm
at times after the 10am feed he wants to go back to sleep.
He feeds at 2pm and wants to eat again by 3 or 3.30
Sleeps between 3.30-4 till about 5pm
Feeds at 5 for 5-7mins
bathtime 6-6.15pm .Normally asleep by 6.30pm
I wake him between 10.30-11pm for a 5-7mins feed
Wakes up between 2-3am feeds for 5mins and sleeps till around 5-6.30pm for another feed.
if he wakes at 5 then he'll sleep till 7 but if he wakes around 6.30 then hes awake for the day.
During the night waking he first starts by fussing but i pick him up when he lets out a cry.

All the books i have read all say babies should be feeding 20-25 minutes as you can see mine feeds averagely for 5mins on a very good day 7-9mins but he is putting on weight quite well. His birth weight was 3.6kg and at 6wks weighed 5.7kg and is putting on weight everyday

8/10 times  i pat him to sleep and put him down after about 2minutes of sleeping and he settles well. At times the moment i put him down he starts to fuss and we start all over again. on other occassions he wont settle untill i breastfeed him to sleep. once he closes his eyes i take the breast out and that would do the trick. at what age do i put him down awake to fall asleep on his own

Please how do i get my baby back on easy routine. i would love him to be feeding every three hours. when should i expect him to sleep through the night.

Any advice will be highly appreciated   

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: EAS Y GONE WRONG !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 23:31:18 pm »
bisola- The first thing that comes to mind is that your baby associates sleeping with the breast.  I have a few questions.  Is he not hungry first thing in the morning?  It looks like he is up an hour before eating.  

You should start to teach him to sleep on his own as soon as possible. Allowing him to fall asleep to the breast will only cause the breast to be a prop.  
It seems like your baby would eat every three hours but you feel like he is eating more because he uses the breast to fall asleep.  I think because of this he spends less time on the breast.  
That being said I don't think you should worry about him getting enough. If he is gaining weight and having wet diapers he is fine.  
Every baby sleeps through the night at different ages.  At 9 weeks it is normal for him to wake for at least 2 feeds.  
I hope this helps.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline bisola

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 12:02:43 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I noticed that  if he wakes for his 2nd night feed anytime after 6, it puts him off his morning feed at 7 he just goes on with his activity and sleeps at 9-10 and goes on till 10 or 10.30am before he feeds. I really try to not breasfeed him to sleep. His settles quite well for his morning and afternoon naps its his bedtime at around 6.30 that he might refuse to settle. i do the shush and pat but it after that doesnt work that i resort to feeding him cos i am exhausted myself.
is it ok patting him to sleep and then putting down after 5 minutes of falling asleep or will he associate sleeping to being held. at what age do i put him down awake to fall asleep on his own. Thanks once again.

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: EAS Y GONE WRONG !!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 23:27:04 pm »
I wouldn't hold him until he is asleep. This will make you or the holding a prop. If you can I would do a bit of windown (hold him and sing a song or something) lay him down and then pat/shh.  If he cries and pat/shh doesn't calm him the pick him up and do it again. You will be able to put him down to sleep on his own as soon as he learns to sleep on his own.  You have to teach him to do that so holding him until he sleeps isn't a good idea :)

Good luck. Let us know how it's going.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]