Author Topic: HELP! We've regressed due to Jetlag - Please help us  (Read 734 times)

Offline Shellha

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
HELP! We've regressed due to Jetlag - Please help us
« on: February 15, 2007, 14:11:23 pm »
We returned from Sydney to UK on Sunday night and have had terrible NWs ever since.  I realise it is just going to take time (we were spoilt the last 3 times we have done this journey - no jetlag to speak of) but I would like to know how to help us get back on track.

We have been home 4 nights now and the NWs are getting better but they are still there (he was sleeping thru beautifully before this).

The first night he woke twice (up for 2 hrs at a time), and then the same but at different times night 2. Night 3 he woke twice but we got him back to sleep the first time, then up from 4.30 for the day, last night he woke at 3.30, back to sleep till 4.30 and he was then up from 4.30 till 8.30!!!!

The problem that I (we) have is that when he wakes I can NOT get him back to sleep (for all the AP things I have tried in the past:-) Last night I went back to settling him in his cot and not picking him up and whilst it would get him back to sleep fairly quickly, he would wake 10 mins later crying. This went on for over an hr when I eventually decided to feed him (BF - limited to 5 mins) as he had been very off his food yesterday, which is unusual. I eventually got him up at 6 and BF him and he was WIDE awake and very happy to be out of his cot.

To add to this, he is cruising and started to stand momentarily by himself (limited), and his top 2 teeth look like they are ready to come thru (pain from teeth not a problem previously).

His naps have been a bit all over the place and he has wanted to sleep alot longer (almost like it is night time - which it is in Oz!) but this morning he had his regular 1.45hr nap and has just gone down again (with a bit of a struggle) for his PM nap, which I will limit to 1.25hrs - as I am trying to get him back on track.

I guess my questions are:
1. How long should I expect this jetlag to affect his night time sleep
2. How should I attempt to deal with these wakeful periods of up to 2 hrs when we he will NOT go back to sleep
3. Is it important that I ensure he gets the 'right' amount of sleep in 24hrs (eg 14hrs is about right for him) or should I be looking to get his routine back on track to help the NWs?

I am not sure if you need our usual routine but here it is:

Wake: 6.30
BF: 6.45
Solids: 8am
S: 9am - 10.15/11
BF: 11
Solids: 12-12.30
S: 2-2.30 (3.5hrs A time) for about 1.25hrs
BF: 3.30
Solids: 4.30-5
BF: 6.30-6.45
Bed: 7.15ish

Any advice from those that have had to deal with jetlagged LOs would be great, and any additional advice from the sleeping experts would also be appreciated.

We do this trip 2-3x/year (I am Aussie living with Brit DH in UK) so would like to have a plan of action for next time. I haven't had a chance to deal with my jetlag so as a result I am completely KNACKERED :-)

TIA

Shell
Lilypie2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Shellha

Re: HELP! We've regressed due to Jetlag - Please help us
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 18:07:59 pm »
Not sure if this extra info helps, but his PM nap today was 20 mins!!! We haven't had a short nap for about 3 months, I guess it has to do with his over-tiredness???

Offline Sharon P

• Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 11:05:54 am »
Oh Shell,

Sorry things are so tough on you all at the moment. I am sorry I can't really help but wants to send you HUGS. I am interested in hearing everyones advice though, as we are doing a trip to Pais at the end of the year, so we may be in for similar problems.

I'm off to bed now, hopefully, you had an OK night  and are waking up a little more refreshed.

Sharon.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 17:11:19 pm »
Shellha I'm so sorry... I know you've worked hard on his sleep.

If you like I can move your post over to Getting Back on Track, you might get a better audience there...
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Shellha

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 20:16:48 pm »
Thanks everyone - doing all that you said Stacy but he is still AWAKE ALL THE TIME!

BUT - took him to the DR today and the NWs were increasing and he was awfully irritable and not himself and turns out he has a respiratory infection - so at least there is a reason, other than the jetlag, for him being out of sorts.

So will stop all the BW'ing for the time being and give him all the love and attention he needs to be back on top

Thanks again

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 21:12:46 pm »
Oh no! I hope he gets better soon!!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005