Author Topic: dry skin - milk allergy???  (Read 1522 times)

Offline wag

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two loves
dry skin - milk allergy???
« on: February 15, 2007, 00:14:22 am »
My DD has very dry skin every where except her botton which is baby soft and so far creams issued by doctor have made her worse, dirpobase, double base and aqueous.  Thought problem was teeting but changing mind.

DD was breastfed with small amounts of formula, when I think back the 1st growth spurt where she got more formula was approx the same time as first 2 teeth (4.5) months and also first skin problem.  This cleared up but i think i cut back on the formula and we were 95% breast again.  I then started back to work in Dec  where she received 2 feeds per day from formula for three weeks, and I reduced the breast until 1st week in Jan when I stopped when she was 6.5 months.  Her skin has had problems since the 23rd of December.  Doctor a bit dismissive about it , taking DH with me Monday coming, Health visitor has finally said she will contact the dietitian about this.  Also last Sunday when she had a yogurt her chin went really red a couple of hours later and we had to use hydrocortisone cream on it and it calmed back down.  The only dairy so far has been formula and yogurt a couple of times.  Have used hydrocortisone cream for 5 days skin was looking great, stopped for 2 and it regressed started again today.

Looking for opinions from anyone about this issue, as this really upsets her sleep.

Thanks Wendy

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: dry skin - milk allergy???
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 12:17:40 pm »
I'd certainly try to cut out dairy and see if it helps as you don't want to continually using hydrocortisone (steroid) cream. Have you tried a hypoallergenic formula or can you EBF?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline wag

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two loves
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 15:00:43 pm »
Hi there

Thanks for your reply.  The Health visitor said not to switch formula types without speaking to doctor and dietitian first.  The only other formula types we I can find are soya based and the Health visitor said there are risk with this as well.  As for the breast when I tried to express without actually fedding my supply went very fast, i could always express when while still feeding.  No activity there for about 4.5 weeks now.

Will do more research and hope to get somewhere with Doctor on Monday.  Can anyone give me names of hyporallergenic formula available in the UK

many thanks

Wendy

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 08:45:17 am »
Nutramigen, Pregestimil nand Pept-Junior are all hypoallergenic formulas that are available on prescription in UK. You can also get amino acid based formulas which my son was on from 11 months. THe one we used is called neocate and this is completely dairy free.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline wag

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two loves
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 11:09:34 am »
Thanks for the names of formulas, just waiting to see dietitian now. 

Wendy