Author Topic: Help..5am waking after sleeping through  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Clarepie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Help..5am waking after sleeping through
« on: February 18, 2007, 08:45:56 am »
Hi,
Not sure if I should be posting this on the feeding or sleep board.My LO who is 3 weeks off being 6 months has just started waking early in the morning again.She's been on the 4 hour routine for just over a month now,we've got her daytime naps sorted now it seems,she does between 1 1/2 and 2hours morning and lunchtime and 30mins catnap.She can stay awake between 2 and 2 1/4 hours.Well for 3 mornings now she's woken just after 5 am.She doesn't wake crying,she burbles away for 1/2 hour,so i've left her to see if she'll get back to sleep but then she starts the 'coughing' cry which signifies hunger doesn't it?She never cries during the day with hunger so have forgotten what it sounds like!I then get her up at 6:30 and feed her and start her day.Yesterday I gave her a top up of 4oz on top of her usual breastfeed before and after her bath,to see if that made a difference,she woke at 5:45 this morning.So I'm wondering if she might be ready for weaning.She seems very interested in what we eat,can hold her head up straight and is quite a big baby.She's 70cm and should be about double her birthweight at 6 months which will be 16lb.Am I right in thinking this or is it something to do with her daytime routine.I'm at a loss again.Any advice..thanks.

Clare

Offline Loube

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Help..5am waking after sleeping through
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 12:06:44 pm »
This has happened to me too but my DS has been on solids a while now and is over 7 months old. I have changed his sleeps as he was having 2 hours in the morning, an hour at lunch and an hour in the afternoon. Now he's going 3 hours activity time he can manage on 2 sleeps, but only just. It does mean he goes to be at about 6.30pm and is getting up at 6am now. We have just started to accept that he is an early riser.

For you though it might be time to wean and look at what time your LO goes to bed.

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 17:04:30 pm »
If you could post how your daytime sch looks that might help.  What time does she go to bed?  You are approaching a huge growth spurt so that could have something to do with it. At 6 mo my lo seems to want to eat around the clock for about 3 or 4 days, then she went back to normal. 
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Clarepie

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 19:13:08 pm »
well if she wakes between 6:30 and 7am,here's how our day goes..

7:00 Breastfeed(20mins)
7:30 Activity
9:00 Sleep (1 1/2 - 2 hrs)
11:00 Breastfeed(20 mins)
11:30 Activity
1:00 Sleep (1 1/2 - 2hrs)
3:00 Breastfeed (20mins)
3:30 Activity
5:00 Catnap (30 mins)
5:45 Breastfeed (10 mins 1 side)
6:00 Bath/wash
6:30 Breastfeed (10-20mins)
7:00 Bed

She has gradually been increasing her awake time,her naps are so much better and she settles down for a nap better if she's had a good amount of playtime,although I have to get in quick before she gets overtired.She can now last about 2 1/4 hours awake.With regards to growth spurts,to be honest I never really know when she is going through one,she never seems any hungrier during the day and hasn't woken any earlier than 5am since she was under 2 months.

Clare x
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 19:25:12 pm by Clarepie »

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

• Showing Appreciation 174
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 19:49:43 pm »
OM, what is this thing with 5 am? My LO just started to do it too. :-\

Sorry about rambling in your post
~Efka~

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 02:02:31 am »
Your sch looks beautiful!  Is there anything developmentally going on?  Is she starting to crawl or roll over? Do you think she may be ready to increase her A time just a little. Maybe she is getting ready to drop the cat nap and extend her A time. 

Offline Clarepie

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 09:15:14 am »
She started to roll over from her tummy to her back 2 weeks ago,although isn't doing it much at the moment.She woke at 5:10 this morning,but got back to sleep after 1/2 hour.She then woke again at 6:45.Got her up and fed her at 7,and she didn't want to go back down to sleep till 8:50,so she is definately increasing her 'A' time.I don't think she's ready to drop the catnap yet,she gets tired around 5pm,so needs a quick snooze before her bath.I did give her a top up again last night too,don't really know if she needs it or not.Should I continue to just leave her to get back to sleep if she continues to wake or try feeding her and putting her back down.Again she was only burbling when she woke this morning.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 20:41:01 pm »
I think you're doing great  :D  You seem very in tune to her and you have a great routine. Rolling often causes sleep disturbances, especially early wakings. My DS did the exact same thing at that age.  ::)  Many LOs drop the catnap around 6 mo so you're probably right that she's preparing for that.

But really, if she's waking and babbling a bit and then going back to sleep with no intervention that's FANTASTIC!!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline suzie767

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 21:29:47 pm »
Sounds like your baby is ready for solids. if you dont start now she will probably start waking earlier or more often from hunger. sounds like you have a very good baby :)

Offline Clarepie

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 09:49:27 am »
She woke at 6am this morning,got back to sleep after 20 mins.She had a few squeals then dropped off again.She is a very good baby.I'd say she's an 'Angel' baby but with some spirited in her,she quickly gets grumpy if she's overtired.I will ask at the baby clinic tomorrow about starting her on solids when I go to get her weighed,I've got some baby rice ready!
I think she will be ready to drop her catnap soon,she's more than happy with just 1/2 hr and sometimes doesn't want to go down for one if she's had long morning and afternoon naps,even though I can see she is visibly tired.Would I just try to keep her up till normal bedtime of 7pm or put her to bed earlier if we do drop the catnap?

Offline suzie767

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 10:56:11 am »
id watch her sleep cues, if she gets tired and fussy i would keep the cat nap for now, trying to keep her up without the nap may leave her over tired and unable to settle for bed time and putting her to bed earlier will probably result in her either waking during the night or waking up even earlier.

i think its best to go with the flow, she will probably drop her catnap when she is ready

your so lucky that she just bables and plays to herself rather than waking you up with a wail :)

Offline Clarepie

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 13:08:18 pm »
we do count our lucky stars that we've got such a good baby,she's very laidback but very alert and adaptable too.We've struggled a bit with the EASY routine now and again,but on the whole it's worked a treat,I don't know how I would have managed without reading Tracys books.
Went to the baby clinic this morning,Lilys weight was fine,staying within her weight range perfectly.The health visitor advised to leave off the solids for another few weeks unless she keeps waking early and won't go back to sleep.She said it was good that I wasn't jumping up to feed her at the first sound and leaving her to settle back to sleep.I have been tempted but I know she can settle herself so I don't.

Clare x

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 13:14:32 pm »
Often times when you drop a cat nap or transition from 2-3 or 2-1 naps a temp early bedtime helps a lot.  You may find that dropping the cat nap and putting her to bed early solves the waking problem.  It is a good idea to talk to your doc about starting solids. Some babies do great but others have a little trouble leading to nighttime sleep discturbances. If you do start solids I would do it early  in the day but certainly follow your docs advice.