Author Topic: 2-3 oz overnight--not hunger?  (Read 632 times)

Offline Haleysmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
2-3 oz overnight--not hunger?
« on: February 19, 2007, 03:27:07 am »
Arghhh!  My littlest ds is driving me bonkers overnight!!   ::)  After his dreamfeed he has been waking anywhere from 12:30-1:30am where I go in and pat him back to sleep.  He will then sleep another 1-2 hours and wake again--I then feed him at this time and he usually sleeps until 6:30 or 7am.  I really really really want to get past that first waking, but I have tried so many things--pacy, patting, crying for a little bit longer, feeding--nothing seems to change.  Here is my real question though--when I do feed him at that second waking he never takes more than 3 ounces--and usually it is only 2.  Could this possibly be a hunger waking when he takes that little?  Is it likely that he does not need this feed overnight and it is more of a habit.  I am willing to put in the effort to pat him back down at this waking like I do the first but only if I can be sure it isn't hunger.  It seems like a silly question for 2-3 ounces--couldn't possibly be hunger, right--but then I second guess myself and think he needs it.  He is a big boy and has really just started on solids.  Daytime ounces has been up around 27 ounces on 4 bottles with two small solid meals.  He currently takes a 1.5 hour morning nap and a 2.5 hour afternoon nap--we have just cut out the catnap.  Any thoughts?

Thanks so much--wish I wasn't spending so much time hanging out on this board lately!!!   ::) :)

Heather

Haley Nicole 6-17-02
Eric Matthew 10-05-04
Andrew Carl 8-28-06

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 2-3 oz overnight--not hunger?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 17:25:57 pm »
2 - 3 oz isn't a lot and I would be inclined to say he doesn't need it. He's nearly 6 mo now (right?) which is usually about the time LOs are ready to end night feeds.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Haleysmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 19:32:16 pm »
He is almost 6 months and when I think about it it does really seem crazy that I think he NEEDS that 2 or 3 ounces.  The other night though my dh tried to pat him back to sleep at 2am and he screamed bloody murder for almost 15 minutes before he finally fed him--I mean an escalating getting hysterical cry.  After he fed him his token 2 ounces he was out peacefully until morning.  He does have reflux too--so that is always on my mind, but if he calms with this feed and then goes back to sleep fine then I doubt it is reflux issues either.  He is starting to eat more solids at dinner so I can't imagine he really needs that feed.  I think I may start cutting it back to 2 ounces and then one and see what happens.  Thanks--I may just need a push to start the battle!

Heather

Haley Nicole 6-17-02
Eric Matthew 10-05-04
Andrew Carl 8-28-06

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 20:14:35 pm »
Cutting back is a good idea - it sounds like he's not one to go along with cold turkey  ;)  Is he on meds for the reflux? Sometimes a refluxer will want a little snack in the night to soothe the throat for lying flat. Is the mattress elevated?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o