Author Topic: international flights question  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Baby Ethan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
international flights question
« on: February 19, 2007, 20:01:56 pm »
I wasn't entirely sure which board to post this question on so appologies if its the wrong one.

I'm going on a long haul flight to South africa and from there to Australia a few months later with my 2 kids, one 6 months old and one 2. I've done a couple long haul flights with just my son but this will be my first trip with both kids....on my own!!!! I've flown on SAA and BA and both times my son used the sky cot which was great but now i've heard about BA having this new britax car seat option and i was hoping someone would be able to tell me a little bit about it, is it better than the sky cot? With a sky cot, i'd only have to book the infant fair but with the seat, a child fair which is obviously more expensive. At the end of the day, i don't mind paying the extra if it means my youngest will have a more comfortable journey. Can they lie down in the britax seat?

Also, I've been looking at the virgin atlantic flights and they provide sky cots and infant care chairs. i can't seem to find anywhere that explains what these care chairs are? does nay one know? has anyone ever used one?

Any info would be great
Laura

Offline mrsrobbo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Bev, mum to Bradley, Paige and 9 angels x
Re: international flights question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 22:26:11 pm »
I have no idea, when we moved across to Canada last year we got offered a sky cot as DS was 4 months. But we used his car seat instead as the army paid for everything! It worked out easier for us

Offline mrsrobbo

• Showing Appreciation 20
  • Bev, mum to Bradley, Paige and 9 angels x
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 22:26:43 pm »
why not give the airline a ring and just ask them, they should have all the info

Offline LucyA

• Showing Appreciation 204
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 22:40:30 pm »
I just returned from Bangkok to UK and was offered a choice of a lie flat skycot, or a carseat style seat, which on a BA plane goes in the same place as the sky cot does. It's a metal frame with a padded seat that is shaped like a carseat. So baby is not lying flat, rather half sitting. The seat can sit up or recline. DS slept for 11 hours in it!! I didn't pay for a seat for him, but I was travelling business class. But the impression I got was that it was just another option other than the skycot, not something you'd pay child fare for, because it didn't take up a seat. Definitely ring and find out.

I don't think it would be available on Qantas because their skycots (in my experience) just fold down from the wall, there isn't something that clips into them like on BA flights.

Not sure about other airlines.

HTH
Lucy

[img width= height=]http://lb3f.lilypie.com/a155p2.png[/img]

[img width= height=]http://lb5f.lilypie.com/iilRp2.png[/img]