Author Topic: When can i expect the night feeds to stop?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline suzie767

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
When can i expect the night feeds to stop?
« on: February 19, 2007, 22:04:58 pm »
Hi id really appreacite your comments and exeriences. i have a 10 week old son, he sleeps really really well at night with a dream feed at 11 then wakes for a night feed at around 3 or 4 and a few times has gone until 5. he puts himsrlf back to sleep and rarely even fusses.

i realise that i am really really lucky with this but i am interested to know when or how this night feed will be dropped. will he gradually go longer and longer between the dream feed and the night feed or will he all of a sudden just start missing it and wake at 7 for his morning feed? i have read alot of conflicting things about this some people saying it should be around  8 weeks and others saying it should be around 4/5 months.

i have managed to avoid any accidental parenting and he shouldnt fall into the pattern of habitual wakening.

when should he no longer need this feed?

all comments are welcome

thanks in advance

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: When can i expect the night feeds to stop?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 02:22:20 am »
Although a few babies can sleep through the night at this age most can not. It is great that you are only having one night feed.  Some babies still take a night feed at 6 months.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline suzie767

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 07:02:06 am »
ah well, thats not too bad.. i am lucky to only have the one so i can live with that.

thanks again :) :) :)

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:33:37 am »
If I remember rightly, Matthew started going longer and longer from dreamfeed to nightfeed at around 5 months and at 5 months-ish was when he started doing dreamfeed to 7am.  He simply slept through it.

I followed his cues for that one.  He dropped the dreamfeed himself at 8months.

alex

Offline suzie767

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 11:00:59 am »
thanks 15milner, that sounds about right to me, i read the review of a book (another expert-not tracy) who said she could get your baby to sleep from 7pm to 7am without a feed from 8 - 10 weeks!!! i was tempted to buy it then i realised this has to be absolute rubbish and i wouldnt want my lo going that long between feeds any way- he only ways 13lbs!!!

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 22:24:12 pm »
Glad you didn't go with the author who said that she could get a baby 8-10weeks old to sleep 7am-7pm.  sounds completely unreasonable.  A baby that little has such a tiny tummy that it needs to be filled during that 12 hours.  Don't know who this person is - but bet they also suggest letting the baby 'cry it out' too.  Doesn't sound very repectful of the needs of another little person,which is Tracy's teaching.

Alex

Offline suzie767

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 22:38:06 pm »
my thoughts exactly. we all have their best interests at heart which is why we listen to the bw

:)