Author Topic: Ideas for breakfast and supper  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Lissybits

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
Ideas for breakfast and supper
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:09:25 am »
Hi, just wondering if you could give me some new ideas for breakfast and supper.  My DS always eats a good lunch but never seems to want a cooked meal at 5pm. Also, as I'm not there in afternoon I have to leave something easy for DH to get ready.
Regarding protein, If for exmpl I haven't given him meat at lunch (but instead lentils, spinach risotto, ratatouille should I be giving meat at supper?
For supper, I usually give sandwiches, fish fingers with veg, rice pudding, toasties - is this nutritional enough? Thanks

Offline xxkaty23xx

• Showing Appreciation 97
  • My gorgeous little Aiden!
    • Facebook
Re: Ideas for breakfast and supper
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 15:45:36 pm »
Both my kids arent that picky so im pretty lucky but they tend to enjoy their dinner more if i only give them a very small lunch before their nap. Breakfast they both have ready brek or weetabix with banana, lunch is usually sandwiches or crumpets and dinner varies, some nights its homemade lasagne, other homemade meatloaf (all made the night before and just fridged so i dont need to hang around making dinner for ages) they also love casseroles, i try and aim for breakfast being about the cereal for fibre, lunch i aim towards the dairy side (like cheese sandwiches) and fruit and veg, and then dinner is almost always fish or meat with veg and fruit for dessert, so they get a wide variety of everything every day.

if you are really stuck for ideas, pm me and i can send you the recipes for some of my favourite things to make for the kids for dinner that are easily stored just to be heated up if you arent always there :)

Katy xx

binxyboo

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 15:49:38 pm »
Hey Katy, would you mind posting them on here for everyone?
I for one am always looking for ideas.

Offline xxkaty23xx

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 15:54:50 pm »
ok, but people are probably bored as ive posted then about a million times, i'll have a peek through the old posts and see if i can find the links for them instead of writing them all out b/c i'm lazy :)

Offline xxkaty23xx

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 16:06:42 pm »
heres the link for my kotletti and meatloaf recipe's

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=71013.msg557920#msg557920

And my lasagne one is cheating a bit but still better than buying ready meal ones!

750g lean beef mince
a box of egg pasta sheets
2 packets of cheese sauce (i use colmans b/c i think it tastes nicer than the bought white sauce for lasagne)
1 very large family size jar of bolognaise sauce

just brown the mince, and drain off the fat, add the sauce and simmer for 15 mins, make the 2 packets of cheese sauce and then layer it all in a dish (preferably a rectangular casserole dish and they are so much easier to lay the pasta on) start with a layer of mince, then pasta then mince and pasta and mince again (you must must end with a layer of mince or the cheese sauce will burn!) then put the cheese sauce over the top and put in a preheated oven at around 190degrees and leave for 50mins then once out of the oven leave it to cool for 10mins before cutting it b/c the pasta will set a bit better and it will be easier to cut without it slopping everywhere - that recipe is enough for all 4 of us and my dp eats like a horse and we have nothing with it, if you wanted to serve jacket potatoes of something with it then i'd half the ingrediants(sp) :)

Also once all of those recipies have cooled off they can be put in a covered bowl and put in the fridge to be used the following day (its sooo much easier to heat something up for the kids' dinner than making it from scratch, obviosuly i'd cook the potatoes and veg from scratch though, i'm not THAT lazy lol :)

HTH someone :) xxx

Offline Lissybits

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 06:10:25 am »
Thanks, that was very helpful. If you could post some fav recipes when u have time that would be great!

binxyboo

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 15:25:54 pm »
Thanks Katy.

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 20:26:31 pm »
Also like meatballs,  but i prefer chicken or pork. One he loves is apple chicken balls. I take ground c heese, grate in an apple, some onion and garlic, add an egg and bread crumbs to make it all come together. Add some salt and pepper if you like.  Roll into meat balls.  You can pan fry or  cook them on a cookie sheet in the oven.  Serve plain or  make up some tomato sauce or even gravy.  You could easily drop them into a tomato sauce and have spaghetti and meat balls too. 

is there any chicken in the apple chicken balls, or are they veggie? sorry to sound like jessica simpson lol, i'm just a little confused. it says ground cheese, but i wasn't sure if there was chicken too. and they sound so good!

Offline Lola

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 20:42:55 pm »
Let's see our house..
Brekkie-weetabix sometimes warmed,w ith milk and peaches and/or banana
Cold cereal-cheerios/Life/Vanilla mini shredded wheat at present
pancakes or waffles (doesn't love and only on weekends) with syrup and fruit
Oatmeal (peaches and cream or apples and cinnamon) or plain and I add my own stuff like blueberries etc.
Smoothies sometimes
Eggs with cheese on teh weekend

Lunch-pasta with cheese, yogurt, fruit (I always try to have a bit of each protein, carb, fruit, fibre etc)
        -grilled cheese,
        -meat ie leftover chicken, steak, pork etc, mashers, broccoli
        -soups (loves Italian wedding) with a piece of bread and cheese
        -chicken fingers with dippy plum sauce
         etc
         -she now loves to hold the banana herself for her fruit

Dinner-Same idea as lunch only not the same food..add another food group..Switch up my veggies. I often buy frozen like pea, carrot and mini corn medley, broccoli or cauliflower, (she likes melted cheese to dip in to)
etc. and with an applesauce

hth
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80