Author Topic: 5 month night feeding ?  (Read 840 times)

Offline Tor

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Harry at 2.5 years
5 month night feeding ?
« on: February 20, 2007, 20:55:50 pm »
5.5 month old boy, can someone tell me when to feed at night and when to just pu/pd.  Alfie is eating well during the day but not taking so much milk, I have listed his routine below, he has been on EASY since about 3 weeks, I stick to the routine, I breastfed til 4.5 months then introduced some formula, I have just dropped the final breast feed.  He is 18lb

Wakes between 6.30 - 7 I wake him at 7 if not awake
7.15 5oz bottle
8.15 2 heaped spoons of baby cereal with 3oz formula
9 - 11am sleeps
12 4oz formula somtimes doesn't want it.
12.15 home made vegetables 3 ice cubes, with 2oz formula, petit felious yogurt, home made fruit 3 ice cubes
1.15 - 3 sleep
4.30 4oz formula
5.15 tea same as lunch
6.45 bath etc
7.15 7oz bottle
7.30 asleep
11 7oz dream feed.

He is a really good happy baby that hardly ever cries, he has been sleeping through the night for about a month but only about 4 or 5 nights a week, the other nights he wakes between 4 - 5, I have a three year old who always gets up at 6 so I feed Alfie just so I can get a bit of sleep before my 3 year old wakes, I did try not feeding him for a few nights but it means I am up from 4am.  I go back to work in two weeks and really want to get this night thing sorted.  Should I just feed him - he then drinks about 5 oz and goes straight back to sleep or pu/pd?  He doesn't have any props to get to sleep.

It's difficult to leave him to cry at night because my 3 year olds room is right beside him and although in the middle of the night it won't wake him at 5am it would and then I would have them both up!

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Victoria
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 21:33:10 pm by Colin Mac's Mom »

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 5 month night feeding ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 21:36:20 pm »
Hi Victoria,

I split your post off the original topic you added to so that you will get the proper attention.

At 5.5 months it's normal to still have a night feed. It sounds like you're doing really well and he's a good sleeper. When he's ready to eliminate the night feed he won't take as much and will eat more slowly and be disinterested.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Tor

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Harry at 2.5 years
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 16:04:42 pm »
Hi thanks for 'splitting' it!

Your message has confused me though as I thought by now he should not be having a night feed, in the book it says he is not classed as an infant and should not need a night feed.

Last night I pu/pd from 4am til 5.20 when I gave in and gave him a bottle as it was waking my three year old, he took 5oz then slept, I woke him at 7am, I am worried that by keeping him awake at night by not feeding him it will disrupt his daytime routine because he will be so tired?  I usually wake him after each nap, he is just starting to wake at the right times too!

Thanks for your reply.
victoria

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 17:35:30 pm »
It does say that in the book, and there are some babies who are done with night feeds by that time. The reality is though that most still need a night feed until around 7 months and some even longer. They're all different, and that's why it's important to follow LO's cues rather than a time schedule. Yours obviously still needs that feed and there's nothing wrong with that. If he's hungry then he's hungry and you should feed him.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o