Author Topic: 11 months and not ready for finger foods?  (Read 3146 times)

Offline taygensmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Re: 11 months and not ready for finger foods?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2007, 23:40:38 pm »
I believe formula intake from 9-11 months is around 24 oz, and by 12 months around 18 oz or so.

As far as the cleft and her eating/growing out of it, it really depends on the child. Some do learn to eat/drink without much help, and others require a little help and guidance to work through it. I would be tempted to get a speech eval just to at least be on the safe side. Some children do start eating finger foods late, but if you wait too long a few kids will refuse finger foods into their toddler years...

Offline Freya'sMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 20:21:16 pm »
Aha! Your anxieties and your los delay all make a bit more sense now! No wonder she's struggling a bit if she's had to deal with such a lot in her little life already! And you too!

The three things I would suggest are:

1) relax! It's really important that you both enjoy food, eating and mealtimes - as I've already posted, make it all fun and let the stress go - it'll make the whole process much easier for you all;

2) in order to relax, get some professional help as tagensmum has posted, it'll give you some reassurance and possibly some useful hints and tips;

3) get some peer support from others whose children have cleft palate - online or locally - it'll help both of you to know how others have managed the problems you are experiencing, and again you might get some handy hints and tips!

Once again, HTH? ;D

Ax
Alison x

Offline adusummer

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 23:10:29 pm »
yes, always! ;D (HTH)

thank you guys.  i want you to know that we are not alone. my daughter is being folowed by the cleft palate clinic here at children's, and is to see an SLP to.
also, i talk to a lady form IDP, (she's well trained and experienced) and she said she'd come once a week and we'll work on the feeding. she already came this morning with lot's of goodies (junk!) for my lo and gave me plenty of tips. she was very happy to see that my lo was very much enjoying meal time and is very happy on the high chair. (that's bc i made it fun for her. don't think she gets my stress) she has difficulties cause of what she's gone through.  so we're on a good road.

also, we went to see the surgeon today and he was very happy with how the palate healed. i asked him about the sensation (or lack of it) in her palate and he said that it's very much likely that it feels funny and that she'll have to learn to eat with the new mouth sines every thing feels different. it might be numb of just feel 'funny'

so, i do feel better and don't feel like i have to race her to feed herself or to eat the texture right away.
she doesn't want much milk. on a reg day she takes about 20 oz. now, cause she's teething (i saw it today, braking through!) she takes barely
15 (!) oz  but i try not to let it worries me anymore.   :P :)

so, we do have busy days here!  don't know how i can thank you guys for your support. it means a lot to me! :-*