Author Topic: How much fluid?  (Read 697 times)

Offline Hsmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 23, 2007, 04:23:17 am »
Harry is 23mo. How much fluid should he be consuming on a normal day? He doesn't drink much during day even though he has constant access to a cup of water. He will happily drink juice (maybe 2 x 100ml cartons or on some days even more) and has a bedtime bottle of milk. Unfortunately at the moment we are having to treat him for constipation which started a couple of days back after a bad spell of not eating when his teeth were coming through...!

Offline Lindy Loo

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • DS Jun 2005, DD Dec 2008
Re: How much fluid?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 12:45:57 pm »
Hi

Not going to be much help I'm afraid but wanted to say that my 20month old DS is exactly the same except he can't stand juice either.  He used to drink water constantly but he had a virus recently wich started as throat infection then became 36 hours of vomiting and since then he doesn't drink much as is getting constipated too.
The only slight success is that when he tries to go to toilet and gets upset as it hurts I tell him to drink lots of water and it'll make it easier and he does then for a few hours.
I wonder if he's still remembering the stomach bug and is afraid he'll be sick???

hope you have some success soon .. it's worrying when they don't take drinks
Lin

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 17:02:26 pm »
At her 2yr check-up last month, our ped said dd should be getting 24oz of milk and 12oz of water per day.  We don't offer juice at all, so that didn't really factor into his recs for us, though I have heard no more than 4oz per day, diluted with water to 8oz.

That said, getting 36oz of fluid into dd on a daily basis is a challenge, but we do the best we can.  She has a sippy of water available to her at all times, particularly when we are out as we live in FL.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline Hsmum

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 10:33:40 am »
Wow - 24oz milk AND 12oz water??? That's nearly two pints of fluid - I'm sure my LO wouldn't eat anything if he drank that much! I guess maybe because you live in FL (ie warmer climate).