Author Topic: Getting rid of bottles?  (Read 939 times)

Offline toriaum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Getting rid of bottles?
« on: February 24, 2007, 00:54:04 am »
My LO just turned one and is now on cow's milk.  She drinks water and juice from a sippy cup just great with her meals.  She has three bottles a day, 1 right as she wakes up, 2 just before her afternoon nap(around 2-3pm) about 1.5 hours after lunch and 3 just before bed.

My question is how should I start weaning the bottles down.  Should I just offer her milk in a sippy cup during lunch and then a snack before her afternoon nap? 

I know I have to wean her from all three bottles, but should this be a gradual process? Dropping a bottle each week?  Any insight or personal experience/encouragement would be great!  Thank you!

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: Getting rid of bottles?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 15:52:02 pm »
I think your ideas above sound great!

I dropped the getting up bottle first and now give Woo a sippy of milk to have before breakfast. The lunch one basically got rid of itself as he preferred to have the sippy. The bed time bottle lasted until about 16 months as he loved the cuddle up time but eventualy he got less and less interested so I dropped it and ensure that he has had a drink with his evening meal and he is ok till he wakes up in the morning.

There is no rule to say that your LO should not be having bottles.. drop them how you think will work for her.. go gradually if you feel thats how she will respond best to it.. or drop the saytime ones and replace with a sippy then the bedtime one..

Hope this helps a little xxx

Offline holdenlouis

• ~Lisa
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • I LOVE MY BABIES!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 16:10:25 pm »
My DS dropped all his bottles except bedtime after turning 1 on his own. I would make him one but he wouldn't drink it. Now we have a bottle before his nap and still at bed. I give him a sippy with all meals and snacks. I think Helen is right about following her Q.

[url=http://lafemmebonita.com

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 20:20:11 pm »
I totally agree with the PP's.

My DS was not ready to give up his bottles until around 17 months.  We then switched to sippy cups and he did well with them for about a month, and now has decided he does not like milk.  So now we give him loads in his cereal and hide it in his foods, and give him lots of dairy.  ;D

Have you had a look at this link under our FAQ's Section?

Too old for a Bottle - https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=67786.msg515260#msg515260

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007