Author Topic: 11 mo developing intolerance to lactose free formula?????  (Read 1314 times)

Offline traciejean

• traciejean
  • New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • hunny-bunny-boo
11 mo developing intolerance to lactose free formula?????
« on: February 24, 2007, 12:35:59 pm »
ugh, where to start?? my lo has been on lac. free milk since 3 mo. b/c she threw up the soy formula. doc put her on lactose free and has been fine since. at her 9 month check up i asked if i could try giving some cheese to see if she was still lactose intolerant-i've had my doubts about it all along...anyway she does fine with cheese, so the other day i gave her yo baby yogurt. she threw that up and threw up a few more times that day. she started acting fine with pedialyte. she had nothing else that night.  i tried some watered down formula the next day per the nurse. she did fine until that night, we gave her some full strength formula and she threw that up too!  same thing the next day!  she has no fever and has been acting fine.ped. nurse said she has probably developed an intolerance to her lac. free formula. i have never heard of that, but she gave us some samples of alimentum to try. i just don't know what to think. any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: 11 mo developing intolerance to lactose free formula?????
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 17:37:23 pm »
She may have a milk protein intolerance, not a lactose intolerance and as the milk proteins have built up in her system thing have gotten progressively worse. You can certainly try the Alimentum - we had great success with it. Also, some babies cannot tolerate yo-baby for some reason but are ok with other yogurts - hard to say!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline luv for 2

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 04:10:46 am »
I'd think that it can take a couple days for the yogurt to be completely out of her system.  When we tried our son on yogurt he loved the taste but it constipated him for two days afterward.

Offline traciejean

• traciejean
  • New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • hunny-bunny-boo
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 05:56:00 am »
thanks for the advice, we did give the alimentum a try and it seems to be working. thank goodness! does anyone know what kind of milk we should try at one year?? i'm just so confused about all this!
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 16:16:33 pm »
No need to switch right at a year. If she's doing well on the Alimentum maybe keep her on that for 2-3 months even and/or at 15 months try a slow transition to either soy milk or lactose free cow's milk. If those don't work there is always rice milk.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01