Author Topic: Is it only me that thinks shush pat is hardwork, and does it actually work ????  (Read 843 times)

Offline nenee

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Hi my 4 week old has been on easy from birth, we swaddled him did the routine of darkened room swaddle, sitting and shush pat etc but his naps are getting more erratic by the day sometimes we are in there for seems like hours and he just wont nod off he winges although hes tired! i do think im missing his window due to the fact he takes so long to feed and so its a vicous circle as if he does not take enough food hes hungry 1 hour later and will end up a snacker so how do we get round this, his naps seem to be aaround 40 mins or so if he eventually goes off.  he creates if we swaddle him as likes his hands out! he sleeps well at night (I know we are lucky) but has colic and from 7 ish to 11 pm its a nightmare so in the day would be nice to have a routine as i cant get out as if i do he will wake up in his car seat or pram (as he can only go 1 1/2 hrs sometimes till next feed if breastfeed. He was born 9 lb 10 oz so dont know if hes hungry as when he wakes hes so hungry. im getting very confused with the easy plan or am i just ecpecting too much from a 4 week old, and should carry on hoping it gets better. anyone else had problems with their little one not sleeping in the day and getting overtired. also any ideas what i can do when hes overtired and fighting sleep?? help i feel useless! :-\
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 10:15:24 am by nenee »

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: IS IT ONLY ME THAT THINKS SHUSH PAT IS HARDWORK AND WILL IT WORK????
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 19:19:08 pm »
Ok relax! Firstly yes, your son is very young still and probably anything we expect at this age is too much!  Secondly my personal opinion is there's plenty of time to sleep train, if he's overtired from days I would concentrate on getting some ZZZZZs in him (And you) whether that means napping in stroller or whatever and then start back with the sleep training when he's more rested. IMO its very hard for babies to settle when they r overtired so you're kind of setting yourself up for trouble!
Lastly, what is the prob at the mo, you say he sleeps well at night, so is it naps which are bad?

Offline nenee

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 19:40:09 pm »
He sleeps ok at night which im very grateful for dont get me wrong but from 7 till 7 pm is a long day when hes overtired and crying and wont sleep, and then we have 3 hrs of constant screaming due to colic! it becomes frustrating and very difficult trying to get anything done(I have another child to look after besides this little one) and even to try and get out of the house is a nightmare as he wakes up crying and needs feeding again.  I understand its early days and cant expect miracles as he is a baby and to be expected, just wanted to make sure im not doing it all wrong and that it is quiet normal not to be able to have a routine at 4 weeks  and only time will help! ???

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 20:10:12 pm »
Essentially yes, its early days  but that amount of  crying and crakiness is a bit worrying, have u spoken to your pead? Are there any health issues? Can you post a typical day, routine, what you have to do with your other LO and we'll see where we can fit some sleep in!
Is he currently falling asleep independently? where doe she nap?

Offline nenee

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 10:13:28 am »
My little one has reflux and colic (although no tests have been done just diagnosed from questions) hes on gaviscon and thats it although weve seen 3 or 4 doctors on seperate visits, they dont seem to want to give him any pain relief just see how we go even though weve been back and to as he cries for hours.  I noticed last night (which was the worst ever) from 5 o clock he would not sleep and we had this till 12 am! its odd as in the early hours he sleeps ok, now i dont know if hes goe reflux can it be worse at certain times? when he was in his cot he would grunt, cry blue murder (mattress raised at head)  and he was gulping is that acid coming up and causing him pain and hats why he cant sleep? we feel useless as dont know whats wrong with him sometimes its hard to tell if hes in pain or just overtired?  Iv made an apt to see my doctor and i will request they give him some meds as this is rediculous as we cant see the paed till April! My other concern is that the meds dont seem to help many babies when looking in posts it seems we have to bare with it, I dont think we can cope like this for the next 3 months! :(

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
the meds DO work, you just need to find the right ones and the right dose and yes, it an be worse at these times. TBH my suggestion would be sort out the reflux first and get LO to sleep any way u can till he is rested again , then focus on independent sleep.
Sounds as tho u have many issues going on and boy do I know how that feels, hang in there and keep pestering your pead, babies shouldnt suffer unnecessarily, u're his mother, trust yuor instinct, if you think somethings not right well then it prob isnt.
Int he meantime try naps in stroller, car, swing, sling, whereever he seems comfortable. Have you considered a paci? this helps with the reflux