Author Topic: alergic to potatoes  (Read 1518 times)

Offline tmhill

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 03, 2007, 22:24:39 pm »
Have you ever heard of such a thing?  I had to switch my son to alimentum at 3 months because of diarreah for over 6 weeks.  Even after eliminating everything that is an alergin in my diet.  He did great on alimentum!!!  We have started solids (he's  8 months old) and we have been extremely conservative on what we have fed him.  Although he is in general still a really fussy baby.  Dr. thinks it's related to a food reaction of some sort.  I fed him some white potatoe the other night.  The next day I got a call from the baby-sitter.  He'd been screaming all day - I picked him up early - and then he had diarreah all night.  (both things he did on breast milk)  It seemed so wierd.  I told the Dr - she said we need to take potatoes and all it's "relatives" out of his diet.  Sweet potatoes, carrots, and squash.  Of course, all the things he loves and we have been feeding him.  There's not much left to feed him.  Any suggestions.

Dr. also told us about a feingold diet.  Have you ever heard of such a thing?  Anyone have thier kid on it?

Any support/ideas would be helpful!
Thanks,
Kara

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: alergic to potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 15:26:29 pm »
Potatoes are not that rare of an allergy, actually. Potatoes are part of the nightshade family so as such, you should avoid giving him other members of that family - Brinjal, Cayenne, Capsicum, Eggplant, Ground Cherry, Banana Pepper, Bell Pepper, Chili Pepper, Green Pepper, Red Pepper, Sweet Pepper, Paprika, Pimento, Potato, Tabasco, Thorn Apple, Tobacco, Tomato. I don't agree that carrots and squash need to be avoided - unless they are causing problems too.

From the little I know, the Feingold diet is often used to help treat/manage ADHD and related issues.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline tmhill

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 18:06:37 pm »
Yes, I believe thre Feingold diet is part of treat ADHD.  What do you this about Sweet potatoes?  Avoid that too?

He seems to be doing better this week.  We have slowly added carrots. no problem.

Another question.  My pediatrician wants him to avoid wheat until he is over one year old.  So I'm trying, but I really want him to have so teething buscuits.  We have already had a reaction to Oatmeal - so I can get him anything with oat in it.  I read somewhere - just get the type of bread that you want and bake it for one hour at 250 degrees.  I got some spelt bread - which is actually wheat.  He seems to be doing ok so far -I think I have heard that some people can eat spelt if you are alergic to wheat.  Is this true?

Thanks for the "nightshade family" info.  I'm going to look that up!

KTH

Offline agw

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 18:52:49 pm »
Spelt is a relative of wheat.  Folks reactive against wheat, but NOT to gluten are likely to be able to tolerate spelt. If gluten, however, is the problem, then spelt will cause problems.
Alicia
Gwynne Katherine - 28 April 2000 Textbook
Rowan Elizabeth - 12 January 2002 Spirited/refluxer
Pampered Chef Consultant (email or PM if you have questions!)

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 20:23:15 pm »
I think that Helen (ennypen) has some experience of this.  Herself and William I think.

Offline LisbonMom

• Ah ... where would I be without my BW community?
  • Showing Appreciation 94
  • Mom, doula, writer and babywhisperer
    • Doula in Lisbon, Portugal
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 02:38:41 am »
My dd was "allergic" to potatoes. We later found out she wasn't digesting it, which was making her vomit the meal she had after the potatoes. We re-introduced it a few months later with no problems. Although not a true allergy, she clearly had an issue with it.
Here was my original post on this: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=67232.0
Sara

Come over to the Dark Side, we have popcorn.