Author Topic: 2 year old with multiple food allergies refusing to eat  (Read 11237 times)

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: 2 year old with multiple food allergies refusing to eat
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2007, 12:56:14 pm »
James was weighed today and he has lost 5oz in 2 weeks. We had still not received a dietician appointment so on Monday I phoned the hospital. I was told by the dietician that she would not be able to see James any earlier than his original appointment given even though the consultant has requested an urgent appointment. The appointment is not until 17th May so this means that James will be seeing the consultant again before he sees the dietician which was obviously not the idea. I asked her if she could give me some advise over the phone but she said that was not possible as she needed to see him first. >:(

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 14:12:02 pm »
 :o,could you phone the consultant and have a word about this?thats the only thing i can think of.
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2007, 13:50:07 pm »
James is being admitted to hospital tonight for observation. They are keeping him in for a day or 2 to monitor how much James actually eats and also to monitor his development so they can decide where to go from here. I will update when we get back. James will also get to see the dietician whilst he is there so they can decide if he needs to change from neocate advance to something with a higher calorie content.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2007, 15:35:34 pm »
Big hugs and good luck to you and James. Can you push for an endoscopy with biopsies while he is there?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline jennyh

• my angels.
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2007, 15:46:25 pm »
thinking of you all,they might actually do something now......jenny :)
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2007, 19:24:34 pm »
James came home on Thursday. James saw the dietician on the Wednesday and she apologised for not being able to see James earlier as an out patient. After a long conversation and giving her lots of information she has decided to keep in contact with us every other week and she will also be seeing him on 17th May. She is also thinking of refering James to the feeding clinic which is run by herself and a speech therapist. She has assured us that James is a priority and that she wants to keep a close eye on him. She has also said that she expects it to be a long process and that it will be at least 2 years before she expects James to be eating anywhere near normal. James's consultant is seeing him on Wednesday and wants to then see James every 4 weeks until his weight improves. They don't want to change his milk just yet but may have to in the near furure. Both the dietician and the consultant have decided that starving James is not the way to go to get him to eat and that it would probably only make things worse. I had never thought it was a good idea to be honest. That is roughly where we are at the moment. Unfortunately James seems to have a stomach bug at the moment and is only drinking small amounts of his milk which will obviously not help the situation.

Offline jennyh

• my angels.
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2007, 08:03:09 am »
hugs :)
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2007, 10:06:24 am »
James is not a happy bunny at all today and will only take a few sips of apple juice and water at a time.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2007, 10:38:16 am »
Big hugs to you and James. They didn't want to do any tests, endoscopy, etc? I'd really want to rule out some physical causes first...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2007, 11:53:57 am »
James was at the hospital today to be weighed. He was 12 kg when he was weighed in hospital on Thursday and now weighs 11.4 kg. The consultant said that unfortunately that is to be expected due to him being ill. James is still not drinking much neocate but is keeping all the apple juice and water down which means he is not dehydrating. The consultant is speaking to the dietician again as he wants her to give James something to boost the calories in the neocate advance as otherwise he needs to change James to something else which they are trying to avoid.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2007, 11:56:38 am »
Glad he is at least staying hydrated but I still don't understand why they aren't doing test to rule out physical causes before just boosting calories?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2007, 12:58:18 pm »
The consultant says that they have already ruled out cf and coeliac disease and that James does not have the symptoms of any other illnesses/conditions that cause refusal to eat and weight loss. They have only done the blood work for coeliac disease though which I have been told by other sources can be unreliable. Both the consultant and the dietician think that James is refusing food due to the allergic reactions he has had and that due to his age he is now connecting them with food.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2007, 13:42:27 pm »
With as many allergic reactions as he has I'd definitely want him tested at least for an eosophageal disorder - have you read up on those? And yes, blood work for celiac can be unreliable - an edoscopy with biopsies is much  more reliable.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2007, 05:49:44 am »
James is back to drinking neoactae and eating raisins now. I never thought I would be so happy to see him having these 2 things and keeping them down its great. It does not make our situation seem as bad as it was not that I am going to give up fighting for my son and the treatment he deserves.

Offline jennyh

• my angels.
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2007, 18:56:15 pm »
i am so pleased even raisins is something :).we are having quite a time with india too at the moment so i know how hard it is :'(.
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05