Author Topic: Mucous in stool, gas and pain with bowel  (Read 2040 times)

Offline lostmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 08, 2007, 21:42:28 pm »
Hello,
 My daughter who is now 6.5 months has been having problems.  She is on breast milk only but wakes up screaming with pain and than releases gas or sometimes before having a bowel movement.  She also seems to be in discomfort at times and keeps pulling her knees up to her stomach and rolling to the side.  She was drinking almost 4 oz and went to 2 oz.  She also seemed to have a bowel movement only after 4 days. Pedi says that she its just gas and  probably something in my diet.  I give her Mylecon after every feeding and gripe water.  I started the elimination diet and added things back. 

With so much GI problems, I am afraid to give her formula.  We tried Nutrimegin but she doesn't like it and doesn't drink it. 

Any ideas or suggestions?  Thanks.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Mucous in stool, gas and pain with bowel
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 22:17:54 pm »
How long did you do the elimination diet for? Did it help?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 00:37:53 am »
Oh... I have tons of experience at this.  My son was just like that and until just recently really started getting better.

1st:  You should be proud of yourself for not giving up breastfeeding.  I did because I was not educated about an elimation diet etc. (at the time).  My son went on Nutramigen and then Alimentum (which is just Similiac's verson).  At first he refused the first 2 bottles and I gave up, but then tried it again and he drank it. 
If you want to try formula then just keep on trying it or give the Alimentum a try.  To me the smell was not nearly as strong.

If you wish to keep breastfeeding, then you may have to really stick hard to an elimination diet.   
From what everyone on here told me  and my experience, it can take 2-3 weeks for what ever is bothering them to be compelety out of their system.

In my sons case, it was Milk and Soy Protein.  Everything little hidden ingredient.

Just know you are not alone and so many mom's on here have been through this and I will be glad to help you in any way!!!

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 00:42:40 am »
Are you pumping the breastmilk, is that the ounces you are referring to?

How long has this been going on? Have you started solids yet?

Sorry for all the questions!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 13:04:24 pm »
Wendy - how are things? Did I see on the Aug/Sept thread that you've started dairy back up?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Nad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 13:53:12 pm »
hello,

my son had the exact same thing...unfortunately, my breastfeeding supply dwindled and i stopped.  After many formula experiences, i finally put him on nutramigen and he has been on it ever since (he was about 3 months).  I noticed a huge difference in about 24 hours...he slept 4 hour stretches (which he never did before) and the gas subsided tremendously.

Keep trying the nutramigen, as he might have a milk protein allergy. As with the doctor...mine also kept on just brushing it off and saying it was gas...until i had had enough and insisted for some diagnosis...call it mother's intuition, but i knew something was wrong!

Hope all works out!!!!!!

Offline lostmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 01:44:26 am »
Thank you for your support.  It hasn't been easy to keep nursing her.  I started pumping because she wouldn't eat too much (maybe because of the stomach problems) and I didn't want to loose the supply.  I started giving her bottle since I have to go back to work in 4 weeks.  I hope I can keep up the supply for a while.

I have been on Elimination diet for about 4 months.  I have added most things back except dairy, tofu, caffeine, broccalli, cauliflower, Onions, some legumes like black eye beans.  Being a vegetarian the elimination diet is really hard since lot of salad dressings and things have dairy.  I am down to 102 pounds (which may not be a bad thing). 

Yes, the Oz. I was referring to was pumped milk.  Yesterday I tried a sample of what the pedi. gave me Gentlease but she still has gas and lots of mucous and cottage cheese like white stuff in bowel.  I wil try the other formula you guys suggested.

I started her on solids with caution.  She get constipated with rice cereal but seems to be ok with Oat Cereal and I gave her peas yesterday.  She doesn't eat too much solids.  After 10-15 bites she gets tired or something and starts crying and I have to take her out of the high chair (High chair might be he problem). 

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 14:01:03 pm »
Hi Lost Mom,

I just want to add my support, your DD's symptons sound very similar to my DD's. I did the TED  when my DD was 8 weeks and she is now nearly 23 weeks. I managed to introduce everything but milk, soy and nuts back and it has been so worth it. We have had a few slip ups with hidden ingredients and although upsetting we never go back to her symptoms being as bad as before the TED. I did try just one bottle of nutramigen and she hated it (and who could blame her?!). My view is that one year or just over out of my life without icecream and treats is worthwhile if she can grow up being able to have treats like all the other kids. I actually cry if I think about her at a birthday party with all the other kids eating birthday cake and she can't have any  :'(

I can see it must be harder doing the ED as a veggie but also I find that the easiest wy for me to do the diet is to make everything from scratch so I know I am not eating anything contaminated. I put olive oil/vinegar/lime or lemon juice on my salads.

Keep up the good work  :) ;)
Katt

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 23:45:10 pm »
Good Luck to you Lostmom:  FYI  The gentlease never worked for us.  Keep trying the Nutramigen or I would try the Alimentum.  It took a few bottles before he ever took it.

Hey Karen:  We have started dairy once again.  Hidden is fine with.  Per our Ped.  we have also tried cheese, yogurt and dairy (since we are over 18 mos. now).  He had a few episodes of some mucus in his poop, but then other times it is normal.  Guess I will never know for sure until he can talk....  But he seems to be doing really well.
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!