Author Topic: 6 month old - do I increase Milk intake or solids??  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Tor

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Harry at 2.5 years
6 month old - do I increase Milk intake or solids??
« on: March 13, 2007, 21:18:06 pm »
I have a six month old who finishes his solids each meal but doesn't look like he needs more but has recently been finishing his daytime bottles and would take more, should I increase the milk intake or try and get more solids into him, he either wakes up at 5 and I feed him and he goes back to sleep and I wake him at 7 or he wakes at about 6.15/30 and I leave him until 7am

He has all homemade vegetables and fruit

(if no feed at 5am)
Bottle 5oz 7am (if fed at 5am don't give him this bottle
breakfast cereal 2 heaped dessert spoons at 8am mixed with 3oz of formula
Sleeps 9.15- 11
5oz at midday
solids at 12.15 ish 3 ice cubes of veggies, 3 of fruit
sleeps 1.30 - 3
5oz 4.30
Solids 5pm 3 ice cubes of veggies, 3 of fruit and small petit filous
7oz at 7pm
7oz df

He was breastfed until a month ago, he now weighs about 18lb and is just six months.  How many fluid oz should he be having?

Thanks for your help!
Victoria

Offline Lockie & Sam's Mummy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: 6 month old - do I increase Milk intake or solids??
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 21:32:17 pm »
hi victoria,

looks like your lo is already having a lot of solids (my 7.5mo ds is still only on 2 cubes each for lunch & dinner, about 3 for breakfast) so i would increase the milk feed rather than the solids. this was the advice given to me when i posted a similar question about a month ago. i believe it's because milk should still be their primary source of nutrition before they are 12mo.

my ds is breastfed so i'm afraid i can't give any advice regarding fluid ozs he should be having.

hth & good luck!
Livvy
Lucky mum to Lockie & Sam

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 21:57:09 pm »
Hey Victoria

Just a quick aside - looks like you're going through the crazy 6 month growth spurt. Abby's was insane. I had the exact same question as you, and was told to increase her milk, not her solids. And that's a lot of solids your little man has! I'm not sure about amounts since we're still bfing, but I think there's a post or stickie out there about amounts (maybe bottlefeeding forum?). Good luck!

Offline Tor

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Harry at 2.5 years
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 20:39:00 pm »
OK thanks I will increase the daytime bottles, I know it's lots of solids but he loves it,  he would eat more but reluctant to give him more, I always offer him the bottle first.

Thanks