Author Topic: could this be a rice cereal allergy?  (Read 925 times)

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
could this be a rice cereal allergy?
« on: March 15, 2007, 20:23:49 pm »
I just gave DS almost 2 tablespoons of rice cereal w/bm today for first time  5mos.  I noticed he possibly had a bit more gas later in day (hasn't pooped yet today) and a more reddish ring around his anus (sorry if TMI).  FYI, I suspect he is for sure intolerant of me eating soy.  I eliminated it (20 ounces/day) from my diet 6 days ago and his reflux seems sooo much better.  It appears to be gone.  And he immediately took long naps (biggest improvement).  His little red speckled rash on torso are almost gone.

In place of the soy I've been drinking rice milk.  He used to spit up after feeds and hasn't since my diet changed.  Would he have to spit up if he was intolerant to the rice cereal?  I would prefer to give him oatmeal anyway.  Any thoughts?

Ashlely

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: could this be a rice cereal allergy?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 00:31:30 am »
Any reason you started solids now instead of waiting until 6 months?

If you are going to start now, 2 tablespoons is a lot to start with. I'd start with a teaspoon to see how he reacts and work up from there.

BTW, what kind of cereal was it? Gerber cereal contains soy so you're better off with Beechnut or an organic brand like Earth's Best. But grains can be hard to digest - my own DD couldn't tolerate them until around 8 months.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 00:59:54 am »
I started my 1st lo on solids with no prob at 5 mos.  I thought I'd give it a try.  He loved it!  I gave him organic EB brand.  He seemed content all day.  He did spit up a tiny bit tonight.  I gave him 2 tablespoons dry cereal which made less when it was mixed w/ bm.  thanks for your reply.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 01:22:22 am »
It may have just been too much for his digestive system to handle. I'd either try a much smaller amount and build up from there and/or try a smaller amount of EB oatmeal instead. My LO could only handle fruit and veggies at first.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01