Author Topic: when do they learn that throwing food around isn't good  (Read 1946 times)

Offline legend_018

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
when do they learn that throwing food around isn't good
« on: March 16, 2007, 13:54:02 pm »
ok, I know my LO is only 11 1/2 months old. I also know that she has been known as a picky eater if she eats at all "lol". Solids that is. No actually she does have fairly decent days. Anyways, she tends to throw a LOT of food on the floor on both sides of her. Or if the dog and cat are around she does it too. I shoo the animals away.  It's usually almost seems more like a game. Lately, she'll take her hands and slide the food so that it spreads all around the table. The mess I have to clean up all around the table, on top of the table and where every else is just unbelievable. I can't even keep up sometimes "lol'.
It's not that she's doing it out of anger, although perhaps some of the time she might be frustrated because she doesn't want to be sitting there anymore. I know because she has this consistent moan/whine and makes her face a little red. Sometimes this is VERY shortly after just sitting her down. One time my husband and I turned the TV and let her watch elmo and she was calm and eat a little "lol".
I say NO and she thinks it's funny. When and how do you start teaching them NO for this?
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline theasmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: when do they learn that throwing food around isn't good
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 14:17:18 pm »
I have notice that for Thea is a way of saying, she is finish. I started to take away the plate at soon as she does it and it got much better.

Offline legend_018

• Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 14:28:05 pm »
I can't even use a plate. I have to keep the plate by me and put her food on the table. She just totally picks the plate up and it ends up on the floor. I use paper plates. She's a picky eater to begin with, so I really try to give her a chance to eat.
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline taygensmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 17:18:30 pm »
My LO is only 9 months, and he sometimes enjoys throwing food off of his high chair (LOL)!!! I usually don't comment to draw attention to the behavior, but if he does it again I remove his high chair tray (which is what he eats off) and let him sit for a minute. Then I put it back on and if he is hungry he will start eating. I will continue tot ake it away a few times if he is throwing food and if he continues then I end the meal. Usually though he was not really full, just playing, so when he gets his food back after his little "break" he will start eating!

Offline Haydens Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 23:09:53 pm »
WOW! Legend_018!!  I could have written this post exactly as you!!! I have a 10.5mth old and he tends to wipe his hand back and forth over the highchair tray and knocks everything on the ground. Yet if I take it away from him (thinking he is finished!) he will scream and cry and if I give it back he will eat more!  He is also become a picky eatter since solids. He will spit things out of his mouth seconds after going in even if the day before he loved it and couldn't wait to eat it!  I too can't use a plate because he will a) dump it right away on the tray or b) drop the bowl and food on the floor!  I have a dog and cat who do prowl around the high chair but i  have trained the dog he isn't allowed to eat it. I give it to him when DS is out of sight! Suction cup bowls and plates are a joke has it gives him "flinging" power!  I haven't tried utensils as I can't control the throwing...HELP!!!

Offline Haydens Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 23:24:07 pm »
Its hard with him being a picky eater...How long do you take food away for??

Offline shelliz

• Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 23:40:37 pm »
This doesn't offer much hope....LOL

My 17 month old began doing the "sliding the food all over her tray" thingy fairly recently.  She certainly seems to do it when she is done eating. We don't use plates very often for her. She does use a spoon and fork though. I have found these FABULOUS disposable placemats that we use when we eat out. They stick to the table and have characters (Elmo or Dora) on them.  When she starts to spread the food or throw it off the table...we just peel up the placemat and say "all done".  She is learning and she goes longer and longer these days with the food remaining on her placemat.

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 02:39:25 am »
zara does this heaps too.  I THINK it means - I don't want to eat THAT food.  Find me something else.  Sometimes it means, I am finished.  I only ever give a couple pieces at a time too though.  Can't give plate or anything.  Zara eat better if occupied at the same time - like with a spoon in one hand.... ::)
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline LilysMum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 03:24:16 am »
I've managed (through much repeating and showing) to get Lily to hand me her plate when she is finished.  I then take it away regardless of how much or little she has eaten and don't try to get in another spoonfull.  This doesn't stop the throwing completely but it sure cuts it down.  Once she starts playing with her food it usually means she's had enough.

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 03:29:07 am »
What about the situation where they play with at lest the first 6 mouthfuls, then decide - yes, I am hungry...and eat the rest...

Zara does that very often.  I don't make it a game either  - I don't retreive teh food (sometimes way later, but often not at all.  I don't say anything, positive or negative.  I simply hand her more food when she seems ready for it ::)
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline taygensmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 04:05:34 am »
My LO just did this at dinner tonite. Ate 1 or 2 bites of vegetables, then threw a piece off the tray. I ignored the first piece, and started watching closely. The next piece he also started playing with and then threw. I removed his highchair tray and said "oh, you need a break" (no comment on the throwing). I waited about 1 minute then put the tray back in front of him. I knew he was still hungry but was hoping for something better (besides vegetables). He again threw a piece of vegetable and I immediately took the tray away for another minute. I believe we did this 3 times and then he decided vegetables were better than nothing and ate them all!!! Go figure!

Offline Haydens Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 21:05:39 pm »
Great idea Taygens mom! i'll have to try it! thx

Offline annary

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thomas Lars - slippery when wet.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 19:04:55 pm »
Ha ha! This is my house too!!! It is so depressing spending that precious down-time when they are asleep scrubbing the high chair and surrounding area (radius two meters!!!) only to have it painted with seemingly impossible to remove food a few hours later......anyway, moaning wont change it! Action  will!! (military drums rolling, triumphant trumpets shall sound!!)
I will also try the taking away plate trick.I have found using a colourful plate with figures on it Thomas the Tank Engine, Pingu, anything....helps keep him entertained. Then he slides the food around to cover the faces o nthe plate rather than the table. I do use stick plates- but I laughed out load when the 'flinging power' was mentioned- you are right. but I try to keep an eye on him and catch him just before the dreaded 'sschwamp' when the suction cup releases. I have also found that turning my back to him and doing the washing up or getting on with something else hence, letting him get on with the actual feeding himself has helped.
My the food force go with you!