Author Topic: is my son allergic to rice cereal?  (Read 1511 times)

Offline momToBenjamin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 19, 2007, 17:24:42 pm »
Hi everyone -

My son Ben is almost 6 months old (3/22).  We gave him rice cereal for the first time last weekend.  We gave 1 tbsp cereal with 2oz breastmilk.  He seemed to like it quite a bit and ate all of it happily.  I put him down for a nap and when he woke up he had BRIGHT red eyebrows!  They were uneven splotches but not raised or bumpy and they didn't not appear to itch or bother him. He was very happy.  They stayed very red all afternoon and were even still pink the next morning.    It has been 9 days since we fed him and we are really worried to try the rice cereal again because I have heard the second time a reaction will be much worse.  Since he is not even 6 mos yet I am planning to wait a bit to feed him solids again. 

His ped recommended starting him a couple of weeks early because he sleeps terribly (I know it's a wive's tale that they will sleep better, but we tried it anyway because i'm v.sleep deprived! ).  When I called to tell them about the red eyebrows they just said to try again but have some Benadryl on hand  ::)

My husband is allergic to a lot of things, which is why we are hesitant to feed him again.  He is allergic to: shellfish, some nuts, eggs, tomatoes, celery, oranges, pineapples, bananas, and red wine (yes a very very sad life, never mind hard to cook for!).

I tried to look online for someone else that has seen this reaction but have come up empty. It seems rice cereal is the least allergenic food out there and nobody reacts this way to it.  One of my friends is a ped and she said she had never heard of a baby being allergic to rice cereal.

So what do you guys think?  Do I try rice cereal again?  Should i switch to oatmeal?  When should I do it?  I'm definitely waiting til the 6 month birthday at least.  (he was 3 weeks early also so may even wait until 6mos3wks).  We're both nervous we'll feed him and he'll stop breathing!  :-\

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
Re: is my son allergic to rice cereal?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 18:13:36 pm »
DS had a bad reaction to rice cereal too.  He would spit up more than usual and his skin became very rough.  We just took him off it and gave him oatmeal cereal.  We actually tried rice cereal again once he was a few months older, but the same thing happened.

Funny thing is that now (21 months) he can eat regular rice with no reaction.  Maybe something in the way they process the cereal?

I would take him off it for a bit and just give him the oatmeal cereal.  In a few weeks, try again with the rice cereal to see what happens.

Good luck!
Judy

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 01:47:41 am »
I actually know of quite a few LOs who had a reaction to rice cereal. Which brand did you try?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 03:37:43 am »
Poor little guy...   :(  Glad that it didn't bother him, though.

Just a thought - some rice cereals (like Gerber) contain soy, which is a common allergen.  Maybe you can try a soy-free cereal? 
Sheila
ng

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 06:46:14 am »
my lo could not tolerate rice when being weaned-amongst many others.some packs of breakfast rice have milk in if you are in the UK so i would watch out for that.i would personally leave it a while and try again later.
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline momToBenjamin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 13:43:42 pm »
Thanks for your responses! I'm glad i'm not the only one who has had this problem.

I fed him Earth's Best Organic Whole Grain Rice Cereal.  Here is the list of ingredients:
Organic Brown Rice, Organic Rice Bran Extract, Tocopherols (Vitamin E), alpha-Amylase (Enzyme), Electrolytic Iron

I think I will wait on the rice cereal and just give him oatmeal next.