Author Topic: 2-yo diaper changing problems  (Read 798 times)

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
2-yo diaper changing problems
« on: March 21, 2007, 03:52:28 am »
Not sure if this really belongs here. Please feel free to move it wherever...

DS has gotten worse and worse about me changing his dirty diaper. He absolutely doesn't want me to change it, though I obviously finally get it done. Maybe it's because of the urgency I show about it (I let him know I need to do it now)?  Maybe it's because he doesn't want to stop playing? I finally get him to sit still by giving him something to play with - fair 'nough, but getting him to sit down is the biggest frustration!

I'm going to start potty training in the next couple of days but if he doesn't even let me know that his diaper is dirty, how can I trust that he'll tell me he needs to go? Anyway, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. For now I need to figure out why he's acting this way. You'd think that a dirty diaper would not be a point of contention in his striving for 2-yo independance. (yuck! ;))
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline taygensmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 10:39:20 am »
I think pretty much anything can be a point of contention for a 2 year old's independence!!!  ;D

Sounds like potty training may be a smart idea.

If you continue to use diapers you might want to try to lessen the urgency and time the diaper change inbetween activities (i.e. if there is 5 minutes left of a video say "after the videa we're going to change your diaper, and then we're going to go outside and play). That way you're not interrupting him right in the middle of something and your giving him something fun to look forward to after!