Author Topic: sweet potatoe allergy...should I call the ped???  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
sweet potatoe allergy...should I call the ped???
« on: March 23, 2007, 00:21:45 am »
My son has been having solids for awhile now, but the last two times I've given him sweet potatoes he's thrown up, got blotchy and had trouble breathing!  The only other stomach virus symptom he MAY have is diarrhea (but he's had it for a few days and does everytime he gets a tooth so I figured it was from that).  No fever, acting great, sleeping ok..... Anyway, right after throwing up, he acted fine and was showing signs of still being hungry.  I gave him apricots and he was fine.  About an hour later, he started with stomach pain.  Farting a lot and getting cranky.

I am pretty sure that he is having a reaction to the sweet potatoes (since this happened both times that he had sweet potatoes). 

My nephew has severe food allergies (7 different things) so I do know a bit about food allergies. 

Though I know that I can just keep him away from sweet potatoes for a few weeks, my fear is that he's allergic to other foods as well, and I won't know it.  Should I call the pediatrician???

Offline taygensmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
Re: sweet potatoe allergy...should I call the ped???
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 00:30:47 am »
I would definately talk to the ped about this. I might be a little mroe liad back about it if the reaction was a light rash or redness, but as soon as you start seeing reactions involving your Los airway, I say you need to know what else he is allergic too ASAP!!

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:12:47 am »
I would also talk to your ped.  DD just had allergy testing done today and surprisingly, she was tested for sweep pot allergy.  It's more common than people think.  The allergist told me that reactions tend to get worse the more they are exposed to the allergen so I wouldn't wait.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 10:23:06 am »
I agree with the pps. Also, sweet potato is part of the nightshade family so I'd avoid other foods in that family (potato, pepper, eggplant - will check for others). Good luck!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 17:14:18 pm »
So I called our pediatrician and basically all she said was to stop sweet potatoes for 3 weeks to a month and then re-introduce it!  Nothing about the breathing at all. 

It's just so weird.  Yesterday he had no sweet potatoes (did the evening before) and he had gas and diarrhea once.  Then today, he is MAJORLY constipated!  So I'm not sure what's going on with him at all.  But of course I'll keep him away from sweet potatoes and reintroduce at 11 months!