Author Topic: Tree Nut Allergy  (Read 1198 times)

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Tree Nut Allergy
« on: March 23, 2007, 01:23:57 am »
Claire had an appt with an allergist today and tested positive for tree nut allergy as well as strawberries and our dog! :'( 

He said that I have to avoid all tree nuts for at least a year and then get retested.  How can I possibly avoid all tree nuts?  Has anyone had to worry about this?  Does anyone know of specific places we can eat and not worry about how things are cooked?  UGH   Also, now that she was tested for peanuts and tree nuts and he didn't say anything about peanuts can she have peanut butter?
Myia
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Tree Nut Allergy
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:25:02 am »
Peanuts are different and there isn't always a cross allergy. You may want to call him and ask what he thinks though. Also, most restaurants will take food allergies into consideration when preparing food. How severe was the allergy?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 12:14:01 pm »
Well, to me it didn't look so bad.  I have an VERY serious bee allergy so compared to that  :-\

I really had a hard time paying attention. I had to go without DH, Claire was being a crazy person ::) and he was indian (from India) and I hard a hard time with his accent.  He prescribed Zyrtec for her seasonal/dog allergy and debated writing her an epi pen script but decided against it for now.  He said to stay away from all tree nuts, read all package ingredients and talk to servers/cooks at  restaurants.  Her last reaction was a very swollen puffy eye. As far as I could see it didn't effect her breathing.
Thanks for the peanut advice. Our ped will know the answer to that right?

Offline osmom

• Showing Appreciation 28
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 17:06:38 pm »
My son was diagnosed with a serious tree nut allergy at 2 1/2. He ate a walnut, instantly broke out in hives and then had trouble breathing.   :o  The thing you need to remember with this type of allergy is that it builds up in their system every time they are exposed to nuts, so the next reaction can be worse - not to scare you, but just a warning.  We read all the labels for Owen's food.  We can't give him anything that says "May contain tree nuts" on the label. We also get a newsletter from the food allergy network that gives warnings on certain foods.  I'll look up the website for you. It details all the things that have tree nuts in it!  When Owen goes to a bday party or someone else's house, we bring his food or a cupcake for bdays.  Some of the cake  / brownie mixes have tree nuts in them.  We also eliminated all tree nuts from our house.  How serious is your daughter's allergy?  Was she prescribed an epipen. owen has to have an epipen on him at all times.  You still can go out to restaurants and ice cream places, you just have to ask what is in things, or at ice cream places, ask them to wash the scoop before serving you I have found that most places are really good about it!  Do check about peanuts. Owen can eat peanuts, just not tree nuts.  If you have any other questions, feel free to ask or pm me!  It's a bit of an adjustment, but once you get in the grove of things, it's not that inconvenient!  Erin
Erin -

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 23:30:55 pm »
He didn't prescribe an epi pen.  Her allergy is what I would call mild-moderate.  Her eye was red and very swollen after eating bread that had walnuts in it.  I am going to have a follow up appt with our ped to discuss it with him. Thanks for the info.