Author Topic: day care - what should i do??  (Read 1269 times)

Offline adusummer

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 26, 2007, 05:05:05 am »
hello,
my lo is 1 YO and  i want to take her to a day care for one day a week - 3 hours. (that's all i can get)  the place is very good and a wonderful warm women is running it. lots of recommendations. I'm not working. the reason i want her to go is so she can play with other kids (the same ones) and eat with them. even though it's only once a week. she had a  cleft palate repair 2 month ago and is not feeding herself yet. i think it would be good for her to eat with other kids. my problem is, i want to do it the Tracy way - gradually. but the lady says no. she says no to all mothers. and they all love her and her day care. she says it's gonna be heard for her if I'm there. and that i should wait in the car and she will call me after an hour (the first day) but i think, my poor baby, she doesn't know the place or anybody there, how can she be without someone she knows to turn to???
she's an angel and textbook baby (except for the cleft...) she's been through a lot in her life, moving to a new country when she was 4 m, the operation - she surprised us in everything, recovering so fast.... but still, I'm worried and having second thought. don't want to expose her to any traumatic experience. am i too worry?? love to know whet you think.
thank you very much!

Offline Two mummies

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • Riley
Re: day care - what should i do??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 06:10:19 am »
Interesting that they don't have a familiarisation process. With Riley's daycare we spent three mornings with Riley at the Centre before we had to go cold turkey!

I guess in the end you can control how short the initial stays are. So if you want to pick her up after half an hour then an hour the next time and build up to 3 hours you could. Not too sure that would be effective for only a half day a week though.

If your lo has been with babysitters and left for any period of time with carers she might be fine after all.

G'luck

Soph
Sophie & Jo
Same-sex parents

Offline adusummer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 05:27:27 am »
thanks soph,
no she hasn't. just sometimes with grandma or aunti. i think i will take her to a play group before, just so she can get use to the idea of playing with other kids. we have not done that much yet.
will see how it goas.
thanks!

Offline Two mummies

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • Riley
Re: day care - what should i do??
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 04:31:50 am »
Hey adusummer,

Just wondering how you have been getting on?

Soph
Sophie & Jo
Same-sex parents

Offline adusummer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 20:39:51 pm »
hi soph,

i have not yet taken her. i think i'll wait till after easter. till then, i'm taking her to a play group. hope it will work out.

thanks for asking. i will let you know.

happy easter