Author Topic: Night waking /night feed question for 4.5 month old  (Read 933 times)

Offline mommy2two

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Night waking /night feed question for 4.5 month old
« on: March 30, 2007, 04:16:31 am »
DD is 4.5 months old and breastfed.
I have a question regarding night feeds. I read somewhere on the BW website that one way to get rid of the night feed is to move it forward an hour every night or two until it is blended with the bedtime feed. For example my dd wakes up every night around 2:30am and I usually feed her. Or, I give her the paci and she wakes up at 3:30am so I feed her then instead. 

I am assuming based on what I read (cant remember where I read it exactly) I would WAKE her up at 1:30am and feed her. Not a dream feed but wake her up to feed. Then a few nights later do the same thing at 12:30, etc. Supposedly this way they wont wake up at their usual habitual time to eat. What do you all think? Have you heard this? Would you try it?

Here is our current schedule:
Wake/Eat between 7 and 7:30am
S- 8:45-10:30am

E-10:30am
S- 12:15-2pm

E-2pm
S-4pm-5pm or it may be ony 40 minutes depending on when she wakes up

E-5pm
E-6:30pm
S-6:45pm
E-10pm Dream Feed
feeds one time in the middle of the night around 2:30am or 3:30am. Has at least 2 or 3 night wake-ups and I give her the paci if I am not going to feed her.

I am thinking of doing the following:
moving the 2pm feed to 2:30pm and then combine the 5pm and 6:30pm feed into one bedtime feed at 6:30pm. I tried this today but don't know how it is going to affect her overnight.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 04:18:13 am by EASYmom »

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: Night waking /night feed question for 4.5 month old
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 16:34:32 pm »
I would never have woken Claire to feed her.  My theory is never wake a sleeping baby.  She may not be ready to give up that night feed.  If you think she is I would up calories during the day and try to soothe her to sleep when she wakes without feeding and see how that goes. 
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 02:36:41 am »
There is a sticky in the FAQ section about night feeds that may help you as well.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline zories_mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 13:30:18 pm »
you may want calculate how many ounces your daughter needs a day to make sure she is getting enough before cutting out a feed. for example my dr said my 4.5 month old / 15 lbs needs ~32 oz (+ 2 tbls of rice cereal). sorry i'm not sure of the math to calculate this. but if we are battling not enough calories right now and started waking for feeds during the night again when she previously slept and its not fun!