Author Topic: Help! Newborn Activity ideas needed!  (Read 1141 times)

Offline camandsoph

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 31, 2007, 20:59:37 pm »
We've just had our baby (6 days old  :))and have been getting him on the easy routine, so far hes been feeding every 2.5-3hrs then sleeping of 2-3 hours. I'm a little concerned because he sleeps so well after hes just fed, and I don't want to wake him for the 'activity.'

So two questions really how do I keep baby awake at the breast enough so that he doesn't get into stage 2 or 3 of sleep cycle - and what would count as an activity for a newborn? eg does burping time count?

Your advice is much appreciated!

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: Help! Newborn Activity ideas needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 21:06:10 pm »
Hi there and congrats!!

To be honest newborns when they are as young as your son don't really have an activity as such.. all they can cope with after a feed is burping and a nappy change and then they go off to sleep again..

Sounds like he's doing great!!

H xx

Offline camandsoph

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 00:31:44 am »
thanks for your help Ennypen...   to be honest we thought as much. We just tried giving him a bath aftre his feed,  then i showed him a few things around the house before we tried settling him down.. it worked but it took a while ( about an hour ) ...

does anyone else have any advice suggestions ? agree with ennypen ?

Offline nike

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Boys Just Wanna Have Fun!
Re: Help! Newborn Activity ideas needed!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 04:56:26 am »
Hi there and congrats on your new addition :)  My DS is 15 weeks old and his A time is still only an hour, which includes time to wake up, a nappy change, a feed and a burp.  There's not much spare change left out of an hour for anything more than a cuddle and a little chat!  DS #1 (now a very energetic 22 month old) also had very limited A time probably for the first 6 months of his life.  I think I mentioned on another post somewhere that everyone used to joke that they didn't even know the colour of his eyes as they were always shut ;D  You are to be commended for being such great parents already for wanting to interact with your little one and "show him the world" but you'll probably find anything more than a nappy change and a feed at this stage is probably all he can handle before wanting to get back to some serious Z's ;D 

For when he can cope with a little more awake time, he'll love lots of cuddles and chats, looking into mum and dad's face from lying on your knee, round-and-round the garden, eyes and ears/mouth and nose, etc.  I think the best thing you can do for your baby is to talk to him and to read to him.  We used to read to DS1 from when he was about a month old and he is now an avid little bookworm. 

Enjoy this time - it really does fly by quickly! 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 05:02:20 am by nike »
ME: 37 (IVF survivor of 4 m/c + 1 ect)
DH: 36 (my hero)
DS1: 20/05/05 (our miracle natural conception)
DS2: 18/12/06 (2nd miracle; 5 weeks prem)

Offline camandsoph

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 06:55:58 am »
thanks so much for your encouraging post nike. there is so much to learn !  ;)