Author Topic: Mastered new milestones...now extra clingy?  (Read 1212 times)

shimzy

Mastered new milestones...now extra clingy?
« on: April 02, 2007, 14:41:05 pm »
My 8 month old has recently mastered how to hands and knees crawl and pull to standing. The problem is that she now wants me beside her every waking minute. When I go even 5 ft away to do something, she crawls after me crying her little eyes out.

I am sure I read somewhere that perhaps she needs some 'mommy confidence' to do what she's doing until she is absolutely comfortable??  How does that work?  How can I make her feel more comfortable with her new found freedom?

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
Re: Mastered new milestones...now extra clingy?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 14:50:30 pm »
This is separation anxiety :/

Often coincides with mobility, because that does mean that she is capable of physically moving away from you, KWIM?

She won't have enough confidence yet to leave you out of sight, this is normal though. The best thing is to pick her up before she cries and every time you leave her to play on her own (the cot is a good place, she will also sleep better if she has lots of playtime in her cot) make sure you are back before she gets upset so that she doesn't think she has to be "rescued" out of a dangerous situation, see what I mean?
And if you want to get things done at that age the highchair is great... She can see you, you can talk and sing to her and she will have a good view.
When Scotty was in that phase I went around all charity shops here and got hunners of new toys, it really helped him to get over the SA.
And whenever I left him I would only leave him for seconds and then increase the time so that it was gradual and involved no crying...
Does she sleep alright?

Hugs,

Steffi

shimzy

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 15:16:08 pm »
ugh separation anxiety  :o

She sleeps great. Has her two naps in the day and sleeps from 6:30pm to about 6:50/7am straight through.

She's always been a very indepedent baby so this really threw me for a loop. Poor thing - she looks like a little lost puppy chasing after her mommy when she does that. Its so sad!

It only started yesterday really.  It hasn't affected her sleep yet (hoping it doesnt!!!)

Thanks for your help Steffi  :-*

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 18:50:06 pm »
Just wanted to ditto what Steffi said, milestones definitely can lead to extra clinginess.  Just let her know her mommy is there and she'll get through it. :)

shimzy

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 19:25:41 pm »
I have to say THANK GOD for BW.  I am almost certain if I hadn't had her nap time and bedtime routine set since birth it would have been a nightmare. 

When I lay her down the last couple of days her arms are locked around my neck. I simply carry out the routine, say our phrase (nappy nappy time) and she goes down (with some complaining sqwaks) but she still goes down and naps!

Offline NiknLily

• Showing Appreciation 82
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 19:37:52 pm »
Hi
My DD is just over 11months and has also just mastered crawling pulling up & cruising.  I have also noticed her being extra clingy since this happened.  And there was I thinking once she can get about under her own power she will be so much more content! particularly as she was getting very frustrated before for several months at wanting to be able to get about but not being able to.  So just to say I'm right there with you.
HUGS to you.  I don't know about you but at the end of a tiring day with a clingy baby, who when she isn't being clingy is into everything, I need one.
newmum