Author Topic: when do you introduce nuts?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline maggie2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
when do you introduce nuts?
« on: April 03, 2007, 13:12:02 pm »
Just wondering - ds does not have an allergy at this point, but dh and family have on occassion given him a bite of a cracker with peanut butter, or a bite of granola that had tree nuts in it.  I'm a bit frustrated by that... :P

Anyway...  his pediatrician told us to wait until he was at least 2 yo to start anything (he's 20 months now) as doing so sooner may lead to him developing an allergy.  When did/are you planning to introduce nuts?  I get really frustrated thinking that we may have contributed to him developing allergies just by being careless :(

Mods - thinking about this now, maybe this would be better in the "eating for toddlers' section?  Feel free to move if you think it's appropriate!

Thanks everyone!
Maggie ;D

Offline Pimento

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 13:53:13 pm »
All the stuff I read has said that if there is no nut allergy in the family then it's fine after 12 months... not whole nuts of course because of choking hazard.  My lo is 18 months and has been having peanut butter for quite a while now.

HTH!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: when do you introduce nuts?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 15:31:06 pm »
I'm a bit of a stickler about this and think you should wait until 2 if no family history of allergies and until 3 or later if family history. But that said, I don't think you harmed anything but giving him those tiny bits. If it were me I would wait until 2 though for anything more.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01