Author Topic: Activity time for 4wk old low birth weight baby?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline liv'smom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Activity time for 4wk old low birth weight baby?
« on: April 03, 2007, 16:02:59 pm »
My lo weighed 4lbs 4oz when born at 38wks.  She has since surpassed her birth weight but still small at a little over 5lbs.  Because of her size, I have been trying to follow EASY by the pound.  Correct me if I'm wrong but the suggested A time is only 5-10 minutes? 

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Activity time for 4wk old low birth weight baby?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 18:57:53 pm »
I would base your EASY on her cues more than anything else.  If she's happy with the 5-10 minutes and is napping well, then I think you're doing perfectly fine.  I would worry more about the length of her EASY cycles in terms of feeding.  I'll ask someone who knows a bit more about smaller babies to look in on this post. :)

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 20:23:30 pm »
I would try and keep your lo on about a 2 hour feeding rountine at this stage.  This way you are getting calories into your lo every 2 hours.

Most lo's don't actually get accustomed to the EASY routine until they are about 6 weeks of age, but it is good to implement it at an early age, as it starts to teach your lo when to E, A and to sleep independantly.

Your lo's A time at this age would be no more than a nappy change, and then swaddle and wind down for nap.

Hope this info helps.

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

andibig

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 21:35:52 pm »
Sasha was only 5lb 9oz when she was born.she fed every two hours (sometimes less).but i pretty much followed her cues regarding sleep etc.