Author Topic: A-Time Questions  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Tanners Mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
A-Time Questions
« on: April 03, 2007, 18:34:04 pm »
Hi Ladies!
My DS is 5.5 mo and I'm wondering - should I be trying to extend his A-time or does he just naturally extend it himself and get sleepy later? He isn't able to go more than 1.5 hours in his FIRST A-time of the day. I'm actually wondering if it's more of a continuation of his night sleep...he seems tired when he wakes. Then his second A-time is usually only 2 hours (unless we are out and about) and then his third A-time is about 2.5 hours. Is this normal for a 5.5 mo?

If I should be working on extending his A-time - how?

Also - can anyone give me tips on the difference between being bored and being sleepy at this age? Maybe I need to stimulate him more!!  ;D

Thanks in advance!!
~Jaci
Jaci
Mom to Tanner Miles (born 10.13.06) and DS2 (due 10.24.09)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: A-Time Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 19:02:32 pm »
Whether or not his A time needs to be extended depends a lot on how he's doing with his naps.  It often becomes necessary to extend A time if your LO starts taking shorter naps (as he won't be tired enough to go down and sleep for a good amount of time).

You're perfectly spot on about that first nap being an extension of nighttime sleep, as it is considered to be.  Both of my LOs have always had their shortest A time first thing in the morning, with it gradually lengthening as the day goes on.  It eventually smoothes out and he'll be able to tolerate a longer A time.  We're right around 2 hours A time, so yours sound great.  Actually, if you haven't found it already, there's a thread in the Birth Club board of the EASY forum for October '06 babies where you can join in -- we've been chatting about schedules a bit -- it's always nice to have someone to compare notes with and see where LOs of similar age are. 

If you need to extend his A time, do it gradually (15 minutes for a few days, then another 15 minutes if it's necessary) with quiet, low-key activities to avoid overstimulation. 

If he's just bored and you put him to sleep, he's not going to sleep for very long, if he's truly sleepy, then he will go to sleep and stay asleep for a decent length of time. 

HTH!