Author Topic: Crying during winddown?  (Read 897 times)

Offline candcmcd

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 04, 2007, 09:15:47 am »
Hey there,
My 9.5 week old has just started crying during the winddown.  She has been on EASY and sleep training since 3 weeks.  She has never had a problem going down for naps, only waking at the 45 minute mark and not being able to resettle.  All of a sudden she gets upset as though she knows what's coming.  I know I am not waiting too long - I'm actually starting a bit earlier than I was a week ago but when she is obviously getting sleepy.  She is usually up for an hour before I take her up.  At first I thought it was the swaddle but I really think it is just fighting sleep.  Is this normal? Should I change the routine?  Please tell me this is a phase and she will go back to her sweet, sleepy self!  :)

Offline misher

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 13:26:58 pm »
Hello,
I have a six month old son who cries during the winddown when he is overtired.  I can tell that I have missed the window if he starts to get fussy during the story (last part of winddown). If he starts to cry then I know that it is going to be a lot of work to get him down.  I am still working on the right amount of A time and reading his cues to get it right.  Today I put him down after 2 hours with no fuss but then he played in his crib for forty minutes before falling asleep.  On the best of days, if I keep him up more than 2 hours, he would be in total meltdown during the winddown.  I try to get him in the crib before this happens.  hth

Offline Andrea(aka Jersey)

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Babies
Re: Crying during winddown?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 13:57:24 pm »
My lo is 9.5 wo and has always done that. At first I thought it was because he wasn't tired but now I realized it's just how he winds down. Unfortunately for him it's necesasary for him to get to sleep. I'm hoping he out grows it.
And if I have people over while trying to put him down I always have to assure them that I'm torturing my lo and that he is infact tired but hates to miss anything while sleeping IYKWIM.

Offline mich0902

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mom to Laurent (03-19-2003) and Maude (09-28-06)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 14:26:53 pm »
My DD stopped crying during winddown when I stopped trying to calm her down in my arms.  One day I got fed up, I kept her in my arms while playing with my DS for a while, and when she seems tired I just put her in her crib, sung a lullaby and left her to sleep on her own.  It worked!  She just wanted me to leave her alone!

Offline donna_issabella

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 17:45:21 pm »

And if I have people over while trying to put him down I always have to assure them that I'm torturing my lo and that he is infact tired but hates to miss anything while sleeping IYKWIM.

Hihihi, I am sure you meant NOT torturing .  ;)  :D

Offline Andrea(aka Jersey)

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Babies
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 17:52:01 pm »
Opps. I swear I'm NOT torturing him!!

Offline candcmcd

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 06:00:14 am »
Thanks so much for your replies!  I think it might be a combination of things though time will tell.  My husband put her down for a couple naps and she actually did a little better.  We both realized that she wants to be left alone - just put her in her crib and let her work it out.  So it looks like she has to let off steam a little and do it by herself!  I still hope it is a phase. :)

Offline kku1036

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 14:49:27 pm »
I just wanted to add that my 3 month old started crying during winddown just a couple of weeks ago (I posted a similar query), and he too just wanted to be left alone.  It's funny how I was so insistant on doing all the necessary steps, that I completely forgot that his going to sleep on his own was my original goal.  So, if your LO can work it out alone, consider it a great success!