Author Topic: Restless, Long Nitewakes  (Read 4689 times)

Offline saree's mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:01:39 am »
I havent been here in soooo long so I shouldnt complain, but....I am!  :P

Lately saree has been having these long nitewakes she sits up, when i lay her back down she just lies there not falling back asleep, tossing and turning , till she sits up again crying, other times she just keeps sitting up. Many times im just too tired and we take her into our bed which used to help get her back to sleep. But lately even that isnt working. She just keeps getting up onto her knees to crawl. She was up last nite for over 2 hours!!! :o
Why is she so restless, can it be from teething, like perhaps she is uncpmfterable but not tremendous pain so not crying, crying?
I watch her lay herself down with her eyes heavy bec so tired and she is struggling to settle herself. Dont know what to do, dont give her tylenol bec im very unsure if its teething. Any ideas or suggestions. Help!!

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: Restless, Long Nitewakes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 01:14:45 am »
Has she just started crawling?  Developmental things like that can do a number on sleep.  She could be teething and that always ruins a good night sleep.  ::)  I would give her a dose of tylenol, I prefer motrin, to see if that helps one night.  Are you going in to her before she cries?  If so, I would say don't go in unless she cries.  Doing so may interfere with her learning to put herself back to sleep. 

How is her sch?
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline saree's mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 14:27:42 pm »
She has been crawling a good few weeks now and she is on the floor alot during the day so she is getting her "practice" in starting now with pulling herself up, so im not sure what it could be attributed to. I guess i can try th tylenol/motrin and see what happens though i hate to give it uneccesarily.
So last nite she was better, but not like she used to be.
Went to sleep beautifully like she always does. Woke up at 12ish or 1ish not sure and DH went to her, few minutes later he brought her to out bed  ::) I know bad BW parents. Anyways she went back to sleep in our bed pretty quickly she didnt jump around like she ususally does. Woke up an hr earlier than usual and was hungry so i BF and get her back to sleep and woke an hr later than ususal.
Dont know what to make of it.

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 17:02:24 pm »
I would try the tylenol.  Unfortunatly at this age the only real way to see if it is pain is to give them meds and see if it helps.  To bad they can't just tell us. I will say that if you keep brining her into your bed you may have a bigger problem later on, but you know this already ;)
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 18:31:16 pm »
Awww, Rachel I'm sorry. I was wondering where you've been lately.

Quote from: saree's mom
starting now with pulling herself up, so im not sure what it could be attributed to.

Pulling up was the worst milestone for us in terms of sleep. By far!!! The only thing that helped (besides time!) was to put him in his playpen and let him have at it. All day, for about three days actually. It was literally all he wanted to do, so that's what we did.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline saree's mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 17:53:54 pm »
I know im re-enforceing bad behavior but im sooo tired.
Now with the holidays her sleep has offically been shot to hell.
I cant get her back to sleep in her own bed anymore, everytime i try to walk away when she is calm and quiet for like 10 minutes she starts crying and sitting up till i come back. It takes her forever to fall asleep at these NWS (this is the point at which she ends up in our bed), do I just set up camp and wait for her to fall asleep with me by her side, sometimes hand on her back. Wi/wo doesnt seem to be working it just gets her worked up when she sees i left.

Jess - just saw the new avator pics, yummmmmmmmmm!  :-*

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 17:56:37 pm »
Do you think it could be separation anxiety? Does she show any signs during the day?

Quote from: saree's mom
Jess - just saw the new avator pics, yummmmmmmmmm!  :-*

;D  He's been so darn funny lately I had to make a new avatar  ;D
Jessica

Offline saree's mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 18:05:52 pm »
Loving the Easter pics!
Cant believe he actually let you put the sunglasses on.
I bought her a precious sunhat for the summer and i see it was a waste of money, she pulls it right off. :P

You know it could be SA, i thought the clinginess was from teething. But maybe im wrong, i try to be reassuring and praise her when she does something independant. What more can i try?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 18:24:31 pm »
OMG he's obsessed with those glasses, I'm so glad I bought them. They're too big for him but he loves 'em anyway  ;) 

I'm betting on the SA - she's at that age where it usually appears. She's learning object permanence, that something is there even if she can't see it, or just because it goes away doesn't mean it won't ever be back. Play a lot of peek-a-boo, that helps cement the idea. When you play with her, tell her that you are going to get up and go XYZ but will be right back. That sort of thing. Give her lots of reassurance and comfort!
Jessica

Offline saree's mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 18:39:18 pm »
It makes a great pic and gives a good laugh, kinda looks like the shocked smiley guy. hehe. Which reminds me, i must upload my pics....

IMO I think she understands object permanence. She still goes after something i hide from her and i dont play hide and seek so often but I have been doing it for months now. I could be wrong, so I will keep trying.
Over the holidays she was running around with the kids playing with them, it was so cute, she barely glanced my way. I guess things would be better of i was 2 and half feet tall.  ::)

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 19:43:38 pm »
ROFL - yeah, being 2.5 feet tall might change things!

I wonder if maybe she understands object permanence with things but maybe not people? I don't know if that's possible.  ???
Jessica

Offline saree's mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 20:27:35 pm »
I hear ya, you may have a point. I try to cheer her on when she plays nicely by herself.
In the morning when i was getting ready I used to call to her from the bathroom so that she would hear me and be reassured. Now she just crawls after me, its cute, although the privacy would be nice. I leave the door open a crack to hear her and 2 min later I see a little hand poking thru the door trying to open it to get in.   ::)

So leaving her to do XYZ would prob be fruitless. But for example today she woke up pretty early so after she BF I put her back in her crib with some toys and she played there for more than half an hr. When I came to her I gave her this huge smile and hug and told her how proud I was of her. (I really was, 30 min of sleep is GOLD.) ;D

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 21:13:34 pm »
 :)  you crack me up Rachel.
Jessica

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 22:11:17 pm »
Hey Rachel!!! I missed my NW buddy! Holy smokes, I can't believe Saree's already 10 months. Where does the time go? I have no advice but when I get these runs of extended night wakings (times when she's just awake for no apparent reason, just rolling around not crying etc) I get a tooth at the end of it. And really, medicine doesn't really seem to help since she doesn't seem to be in pain. I just have to wait it out. And hope she goes back to sleeping ok afterwards. But i know it will come. She actually slept through the night for the first time ever a few weeks ago! It was only once, but at least it happened.

When she's like this, i just stay beside the crib and usually end up falling asleep hanging over the side. If i brought her to bed with us, it'd be play time for sure! i'm kind of thinking of riggin up some kind of pillow contraption for me to lean on the side of the crib. She'd probably pull it down and eat it though.  ::)

Anyways, pop by more often!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 22:13:29 pm »
Hey Aeri!!!! Here we are again, the three of us  :-*
Jessica